+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Home Water

Hybrid View

Default New Home Water

For several years now, I've called the St. Joe River of north Idaho my home water. It's truly a restful, beautiful & rejuvenating place to be. I'll always look forward to visiting the area if for nothing else than camping and relaxing. Lately however, my wading abilities have completely deteriorated. So bad that a wade only ankle deep would result in a drenching tumble. I have been known to fish from a garden bench positioned on shore and have had some considerable luck in so doing. With the price of gas and the onset of early retirement, it's less likely that will happen any time soon. All is not lost though. I live in a neighborhood that is only 3 - 3 1/2 miles from Liberty Lake. It isn't the same as fishing a river or stream, but it has attributes of it's own. It's about 700 acres and holds rainbows, browns, largemouth bass, bluegills and perch. For the most part it's only 25 feet deep, with one small hole that runs 30 feet. A perfect depth to be entirely manageable with either a full sink or floating fly line. Tactics are going to have to change, but I'm amenable enough to accept the challenge. I count myself fortunate to have such a diverse fishery so close to home and look forward to learning it's characteristics. With my jon boat and electric motor I'll be able to cover the entire lake and carry lunch, camera, a couple of rods, more gear than I could ever get into a vest or on a lanyard. Maybe even a fish box on 1 or 2 occasions. Yes! Fortunate indeed.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Joe, I feel your pain (literally...) as I have not been able to get out this year with the exception of a couple of trips on my pontoon boat. As of now I can't even get out in the pontoon, but have high hopes for about a month from now. Stillwaters are now my target and I have been gearing all of my tying towards mastering stillwater presentations, and can't wait for the coming day when I can make my first foray to my favorite new stillwater pond. Good to see you've found an alternate and gratifying alternative that will help scratch the itch. Good luck!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thanks Kelly. I'd be interested in some of your stillwater patterns.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Lotech,

You are going to love it! It is still the same game only the playing field is larger and you will spend more time locating the fish, but, once you locate them, they are catchable and a lot of fun. Work the shoreline early and late of the day with a bass popper and hang on! When the bass quit, go for the bluegill and other species in the lake. I alternate my fishing from rivers one day and maybe a small lake the next just for the change. I enjoy both. Matter of fact, tomorrow another buddy of mine who purchased a NuCanoe is going to meet here at my house and we are taking both NuCanoes and fishing a back bay of a large lake here. The bay has a lot of stumps and we are going to fish bass poppers and see what happens. If that does not work, look out bluegill. I am a little different than most fly fisherman in that I use a fly rod for all my fishing. I don't consider the fly rod a trout rod only. It is just another fishing rod but it sure is a lot more fun to use it than any other fishing rod out there. Keep us posted on your fishing trips. Trust me, you ARE going to love it and I can hardly wait for the fishing report!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    With my jon boat and electric motor I'll be able to cover the entire lake and carry lunch, camera, a couple of rods, more gear than I could ever get into a vest or on a lanyard. Maybe even a fish box on 1 or 2 occasions. Yes! Fortunate indeed.
    Ah, just the excuse for a bigger boat.

Joe,

If I were you I would keep a journal when exploring this lake. It will help you figure out movement patterns etc. I love lake fishing and you will love it too! I have some nice patterns for those bluegills.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Blog Entries

That sounds like a great lake for using a depth sounder to map the bottom. a Journal is also a good idea. I take along a couple of marker bouys with about 40 feet or so of line on them. When you get a hit toss the marker overboard to mark that spot. Do a couple more passes by the bouy and if you get more hits near that spot. Ta dah! you have found a Honey hole. This Works on most shallower lakes and takes away lots of the guess work. Home made marker bouys made with dacron line and a milk jug will get the job done as well and cost nothing. Even a carved 2x4 and piece of string will work in a pinch. A friend of mine even tosses his wife overboard making her tread water to mark really good spots. Note: When using this method it is wise to first make sure that the little woman can swim. Many small lakes are man made and have dammed up a bygone creek. Fish tend to lay along the path of the original creekbed. Also several smaller lakes are spring fed. A thermometer will locate the springs exact location. Fish near the spring where there is a higher oxygen content and more nutrients near there. Ergo thats where the fish will hang out. We have a couple of lakes near here where the cold water from the springs make a particular spot on the lake far more appealing to trout than the tepid oxygen starved water found elsewhere in the lake.

If all else fails , drive North for about 2 hours and you will be in fish heaven....Hint hint nudge nudge...LOL
    As always Joe when reading my posts read my signature line first.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 07-28-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Hey Joe what Warren and that guy from north of the border said.

I will add a welcome to the dark side of fly fishing. Add a few pistol petes to your fly box as they are great for trolling along with a few sink tips. Bet you got walleyes in your area. Night time trolling of a pistol pete along the shore in the shallows should be a lot of fun. Will also pick up any browns in the water.

I think you will find your fly fishing to be greatly expanded.

+ Reply to Thread