Thread: New Home Water

Threaded View

Blog Entries

That sounds like a great lake for using a depth sounder to map the bottom. a Journal is also a good idea. I take along a couple of marker bouys with about 40 feet or so of line on them. When you get a hit toss the marker overboard to mark that spot. Do a couple more passes by the bouy and if you get more hits near that spot. Ta dah! you have found a Honey hole. This Works on most shallower lakes and takes away lots of the guess work. Home made marker bouys made with dacron line and a milk jug will get the job done as well and cost nothing. Even a carved 2x4 and piece of string will work in a pinch. A friend of mine even tosses his wife overboard making her tread water to mark really good spots. Note: When using this method it is wise to first make sure that the little woman can swim. Many small lakes are man made and have dammed up a bygone creek. Fish tend to lay along the path of the original creekbed. Also several smaller lakes are spring fed. A thermometer will locate the springs exact location. Fish near the spring where there is a higher oxygen content and more nutrients near there. Ergo thats where the fish will hang out. We have a couple of lakes near here where the cold water from the springs make a particular spot on the lake far more appealing to trout than the tepid oxygen starved water found elsewhere in the lake.

If all else fails , drive North for about 2 hours and you will be in fish heaven....Hint hint nudge nudge...LOL
    As always Joe when reading my posts read my signature line first.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 07-28-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!