+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gators

Hybrid View

Default Gators

Has anyone out there had a run in with a gator while fishing. Just came back from the Santee, SC area fishing on the bank saturday morning and came really close to about an eight foot gator. Needless to say I gave him plenty of room. I never saw him until he hissed at me. He was right up next to a pontoon boat. Next time I will watch the bank a little better.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

If you fish in the Everglades which I did for a number of years, you can't help but run into them pretty much all the time. Usually if you leave them alone and give them their space, you won't have any problems. That being said, they do get very curious when they hear spashing and keeping stringers of fish hanging off the side of a boat is a good way to attract unwanted attention.

Jim Smith

If you're bothered by gators, don't come to Louisiana...

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I run into them all the time in Fl. and south Ga. I've never had one do anything other than charge me in the kayak. They break off at the last minute if you hold your ground. Apparently, they see the kayak as another competitor. On land, I've never had them bother me, except the one time I stepped on one (she was taking a nap in the sun) by accident. She went one way (into the water) and I went the other (up the embankment). I'm not which one of us was more scared. On the upside, I think I set a new 100-yard dash record.

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
    If you're bothered by gators, don't come to Louisiana...

. . . or Hilton Head !

I was walking the shoreline and fly-fishing in Miami one morning. I had been trying to keep an eye out for sunning 'gators....but didn't see this one until I was about 20' away and it launched itself into the water. Startled me, for sure! It was probably only a 5-footer.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I remember camping and fishing at a lake in south Mississippi where the park manager warned us (being from upstate MS) about the gators in the lake, there were only 7 in a 90 acre lake. The largest was reported as being a tad under 19 ft., I saw a photo he was as long as a Chevy Caprice, but he warned us to be wary of the female with a nest on the back side of the lake. The big boy was named Oscar, I ask where he slept and was told "wherever he wants."

Too many folks make the mistake of feeding the gators, which makes them think everyone has a snack for them. I stopped at a boat ramp just off Alligator Alley west of Ft. Lauderdale and had a gator slide up right under where I was standing on the bank.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread