this is like a question about motor oil or fly tying vises... which one's best? Everyone will have their own perfectly valid reasons for why their choice of watercraft is "best"... after many years I've settled on a kayak for my fishing needs. I saved and wanted a "real" boat/motor for many many years and never pulled the trigger on one. I realized I didn't want the constant expenses and upkeep of a nice fishing boat, even though the comfort while fishing is not attainable in any other way. Canoes are great for many things and I think I'll always have one around. Never owned a real pontoon, but back in the 90's we used to make pontoon-like rafts with wood frames and round 5-gal water jugs for floatation. Got the job done on lakes. Had several float tubes. Down in Alabama and Florida, I was always a little nervous when gators were around, and more than once had a water moccasin try to come aboard without permission. I settled on a SOT kayak, a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 for portability, ease of use, ability to cover water and handle waves, etc. I'm not going to be out downrigging for summer steelhead in the great lakes with it, but for everyday use in lakes and rivers, IMO it can't be beat. BTW I have a little Kia 4-cyl econo car, and with a Yakima rack system, the kayak is super-portable. At about 55-60 pounds, it's easy to lift up on the rack and tie down. I've got 5mm neoprene waders for when the water gets cold. Lots of storage capacity, and it moves along nice and quick---- for a SOT. I've got a ruined back from a career in the service. The Wilderness Systems seating system for 2011 is the most comfortable kayak or canoe seat I've ever had my butt in. I have paddled and fished 6 straight hours with no discomfort. Another advantage with a SOT is that you can move around some and sit side-saddle when you're drifting on a lake or at anchor, as long as conditions are good.

The best thing you can do is go to as many places as possible and try out a lot of different watercraft.