+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm completely lost....

I actually fish Central Oregon lakes. The best scenario would be to have a pontoon and a good motor-boat. A Kayak might be an option but I don't know enough about them to recommend one. For fishing Cascade lakes I would not choose a canoe. A canoe is fun for exploring but you will be constantly fighting it, if you try to fish from one solo.

Here is a Central Oregon lake. It might give you an idea of what others are choosing.

Piece of cake if you use akayak there unless you have back pack it in. I have dragged my kayak for an 1/2mile on a C Tug carrier with no problems.

If I were starting over I would strongly consider....

http://www.springcreekprams.com/?page_id=54

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions and advise - since I know almost nothing about boats it's all really useful! Jayatwork - that picture makes a pretty compelling areguement for a 'toon. Ducksterman, I like the look of that pram as an alternative. In my heart I like the idea of a kayak but I guess I really need to rent one for an outing and see how it works for me in the real world.

All the best,

Cliff

Check the dinghies on this site:
    http://www.directboats.com/dinghys.html

I'm with flyfish dog! With everything there are trade offs, but I think once you try a yak YOU WILL BE HOOKED! Stealth, speed/manuverabilty, size, and weight for transporting. I have 2 SOTs I fish fromand they are stabil enough that I stand up in them and fish. Not goin down a fast river mind you, but in lakes and sloughs. All I can say is give one a try I think you'll really be pleased
    " beside stillwaters he leads me..."

The cool thing about a toon is once you paddle to where you want to be you can use fins to move around while you fish. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I have to agree, Yaks are the ultimate water machines, although I use a Sit Inside Kayak. It keeps me, and my gear much drier. I installed two retractable pontoons on mine, and I can also stand up to cast, or bowfish, and my Yak handles Class V rapids (if need be).

I am seriously considering buying an Advanced Elements Inflatable Kayak, just because they are so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by flyyaker View Post
    I'm with flyfish dog! With everything there are trade offs, but I think once you try a yak YOU WILL BE HOOKED! Stealth, speed/manuverabilty, size, and weight for transporting. I have 2 SOTs I fish fromand they are stabil enough that I stand up in them and fish. Not goin down a fast river mind you, but in lakes and sloughs. All I can say is give one a try I think you'll really be pleased

Default Another Yak vote...

A little late to the party, but I vote for a kayak. The reasons mentioned above are all reasons which led me to the yak. I have an Ocean Kayak Trident 11. It is an 11'6" boat and is super stable. I can stand in it-- never fished standing, but I wanted to see if it can be done. Nor have I ever had a need/ desire to stand while fishing. That is what my dad's Skeeter ZX with a platform deck and troller on the front is for.

The one (yes, only one-- IMHO) drawback to the yak is that underwater structure can look distorted due to being so low to the water. Once you get used to the way things appear it becomes a non issue.

Plusses: Won't be as affected by wind as others, my boat has a crazy weight capacity for it's size (I'll never have 450 lbs. with me...), stealthy, covers water quickly, easily maneuverable, And, possibly most importantly to me-- is that you can sit side saddle, and use your feet like you would in a kick boat for positioning-- this was my only concern, would I be able to hold in the water? Not a problem.

I am a young guy, mid 30's, very active-- most people are amazed that I am as old as I am-- So, issues with back problems, joint probs, etc. are yet to be a factor for me. But this may be something that is of concern to others-- I can't speak to this issue.....

My one cents worth, I have had float tubes and canoe but at age 68 have now purchased a SOT 12' Pescador kayak and I wonder to myself why did I take so long. I just love it

+ Reply to Thread