Hi Dave- I live in the area you are looking for info for and use a fly rod for the same species you are interested in although from shore, but I have fished fromm boats in the passed. I would go with an 8wt and a 10 wt for the rod with a floater, an intermediate and something to fish deep. If you want to use only two lines then the floater wih some lead core as the butt section of the leader system looped to the fly line would get you away from needing the intermediate as you would have in essence a sink tip. For the deep line something in a type 4 full sink should do the job. Many use just an intermediate but if you have any freshwater experience with trout you know line control is more important than anything else and a floater gives you this control, especially if you carry a couple of different lengths of lead core to add to the leader. These fish are not leader shy so I use a butt section of 40# mono(30" long) and my tippet (usually 25 or 30# mono 30"-36" long). I also fish two or three flies to represent different bait when targeting stripers, but not when targeting blues.
Hope this helps.
Ron