+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I don't understand about posting pics of flies on the flytying forum

Maybe this will help...

Some of what I've been tying of late:

They're all just patiently awaiting my return to the water...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post

I am not complaining here - I really, truly, don't understand the facination for posting soft hackle/spider flies and commenting on them. I am not picking on anyone, several tiers have done this over the past few years. Hans Wilhenman(sp), with whom I have communicated and respect, posted several on the Flyfisherman site before it became defunct.

What puzzles me is this: these flies have basically 4 parts: abdomen, thorax, hackle, thread-head. Of course there is skill in tying a neat one, but they are not as tough as Marino thorax flies, or some modest salmon flies. There are hundreds of materials with which to tie flies, and thus there are millions of variations of spider flies. Do we need to see them all?

In comparison we don't see hundreds of woolly bugger variations - without a rib this is also a 4 part fly - why if we changed the rib every time we could have hundreds of millions of variations - but we don't see them. We don't see hundreds of caddis variations - wings of cellophane, or organza or caribou skin. There are all kinds of flies on the 'net, just as there are in the Orvis and Cabela's catelogues. I just wonder why it is that on the forum wet flies predominate as opposed to other styles, and why they turn up on the forum and are not left to the fly box inventory (like mine are) or logged on the Hatches Magazine website - or on Hans' site.

How about a thread showing all the crazy Stimulator variations? - "sorry no traction for that one, it's only spiders we need to see variations for". I don't get it.

Unh...the Fly Fisherman Forum is back...

http://forums.flyfisherman.com/

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Wow Kelly, that is a heap of flies! I recognise a fair few of the paterns, but what are the big fluffy grey flies in the second to last pic?
    Looks like once you are back on the water, and I hope that is soon, you will have enough flies for at least a couple of seasons.
    As for the wee spiders being the most posted style, this I think is partly the history of the fly, after all at one point I think every fly was a wee wet, plus for the average tier they are a lovely looking fly and a good one is achievable by most. As a bonus they catch fish almost as well as they catch fishermen.
    All the best.
    Mike

Kelly,

Fly boxes that neat are the sign of a sick mind. Let's hope you are back on the water soon so you mess those boxes up a bit.

Mike, For an explanation of the fluffy gray things, take a look at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw...tw20101108.php .

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Marinaro Thorax Flies:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...050602fotw.php
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...w/3298fotw.php

Have fun, if you've not fished the 'real thing' you are in for a real adventure.

Kelly - thanks for evening up the balance! I LOVE the last pic with all the emergers - although I usually use hare foot rather than CDC. I have few true dry flies in my boxes any more, but lots of emerger variations.
    Regarding the Parasol/Piggyback/Dandelion emergers: they were about the only thing that worked in June for the annual trip to the Farmington - we had lots of 'suck-downs' but few hook-ups unless the emerger was 1" below the surface to begin with. And I didn't have any!
    Regarding the Thorax flies (thanks for the links Ladyfisher): Marinaro suggests (pg 251 and 252; Drey Fly Code, Lyons Press hardcover) that two hackle sizes be used. The one that goes in front of the wing on top and behind the 'chest/thorax on the bottom is size 14 (for instance), while the one that goes behind the wing on top and in front of the 'chest'/thorax on the bottom is a size 16. This lowers the head and cocks the abdomen/tail out of the water like a real adult. I'll still try to tie 6 so that one is good enough for (another thorax) tutorial - probably by the autumn. I did not say in any above thread that I was a better tier or know more than others - so I will do my best.
    The Royal Bugger is just a laugh as I have a friend who is a very good and well-travelled fisher, but when the teeny-tinies etc. don't work he will always go to a black Wooly Bugger, and catch fish - and he was born in Britain - so I made the Royal B to get a chuckle out of him. If I can figure out how I will post a pic but no tutorial needed.
    Greg

Talking

Oh, I respectfully disagree with the original post.
    Seeing all the trials and triumphs of those with the tying affliction encouraged me to jump, not wade, into deep waters.
    Much trials and tribulations later, and finacial stresses and strains, I'm proud to say I have achieved.... Mediocrity.
    My ultimate claim to fame is my Mosquitoes on a #28 hook. (It was as small a hook as I could readily buy)
    I tyed cover to cover in my beginning fly tying book. By then I was hopelessly caught in the current and could only throw money at the stream banks in hope a branch might save me.
    Up to my fanny in alligators, only better equipment could save me. And a few more books on the subject. Once acquired it was tying until I got boxes filled with patterns. The little girl next door wondered why I was collecting bugs, because that is what they looked like to her.
    And I owe a heaping helping of Thanks to ALL of YOU for the help and inspiration.
    I tried as a kid to tye. But as I ripened into Old Fartdum, I again picked up the bug and spun in like a spider after a fly.

Special thanks to Ladyfisher, and Denny of Conranch Hackle for the beautiful cape and hackles.
    And J. Stockard for the 14/0 ultrafine threads.
    Found through FAOL, and the good folks who post here.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Marinaro Thorax Flies:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...050602fotw.php
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...w/3298fotw.php

Have fun, if you've not fished the 'real thing' you are in for a real adventure.
    Thanks, Ladyfisher.
    Bruce

Hi,

I think the thing is that not everyone sees all spider flies as being simple variations on the same fly, rather they are different patterns that represent different insects, or may be different attractors, etc. Much like winged wets are really all constructed more or less similarly, tail, body, optional rib, wing, hackle, and head, but posting a March Brown doesn't really cover the lot. Bucktail streamers could be viewed much the same, as could the NZ matuka style flies, or those based upon the Fuzzy Wuzzy construction. There are a number of regular posters in the fly tying section who share an interest in the spider patterns so its not surprising that spiders show up a lot - how else would we share with each other? I know I've picked up a number of patterns that I use because of what people have posted. I know at times I've posted a series of flies all on the same theme such as the Mallard & ... series, like the mallard and red, mallard and yellow, mallard and orange, mallard and claret is the one that is still well know and popular, and so on. Although the only differnece is the colours of the body and hackles, at the time I thought people would be interested in seeing a small collection of flies that used to be a set of "must haves".

I for one am glad that people like REE, Donald, and all the others share the flies that they tie and find useful. Having tied and looked at a lot of spiders, it's interesting for me to see how others tie them. We each have a very different "eye" to the proportions, and I bet we all catch fish on them.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Blog Entries

Please allow my own ramble across this topic.

The original question is a fascinating one that cuts across fly fishing and human psychology. First and foremost, let me wave my own flag so that everyone may clearly see from whence I come. Even though I fish dries more than wets, I love looking at those flies and reading about them. I have friends and family who just don't understand how I can look at one of those pictures for minutes and then get a far-off look in my eyes.

I DO see a strong element of art in many of those flies. Perhaps I should use the word artisanship, or craftsmanship. Surely the intent is that they be at least as functional as beautiful. The old patterns have a history of catching flies over many seasons, or many iterations of the same season if one wishes to be disputatious. The patterns come down over time because they have worked and can continue to work. The patterns are often members of styles or schools of tying representing disciplined development and training of new pupils in an era before "anything goes". They have attained a respected position because they have earned it. I think that we are most fortunate to have sources whom are willing and able to share with us the knowledge and heritage of the craft. Therein is a part of the human psychology element. We have the people who work extensively with these styles of flies and post high quality pictures of beautifully tied flies to an eager audience. If there were advocates of traditional Catskill dry flies with similar skills and depth of knowledge, then we would be even luckier. Consider how popular the Old Flies column was.

So we have these pictures posted because we are fortunate enough to have people who have the knowledge, tying, and technical skills to bring them to us and because there is a ready and appreciative audience.

If you still don’t understand the intense viewing and far-away look that I sometimes get from them, let me share with you a bit of what is happening. I am often able to get the mental image of anglers from earlier times working those flies for trout, grayling, and other fish. There are times when I can smell the woods, fields, water, and peat from a region to which I have never been. I can almost feel the breezes and the sun or damp. I join with them, however tenuously, as another angler who can appreciate their skills, efforts, and love of the sport and place. I can leave my den, a coffeehouse, or even my cubicle at work and drift off to, not just another place, but a whole different sort of place. I can change my own state of mind to something far different from my mundane world. Donald, in particular, has been a most excellent communicator not only of fly patterns and history, but of a whole different time and place. I am just one of the eager and appreciative travelers. All excellent tour guides are appreciated.

Also, the flies catch fish.

Warmest regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread