Oh, I respectfully disagree with the original post.
Seeing all the trials and triumphs of those with the tying affliction encouraged me to jump, not wade, into deep waters.
Much trials and tribulations later, and finacial stresses and strains, I'm proud to say I have achieved.... Mediocrity.
My ultimate claim to fame is my Mosquitoes on a #28 hook. (It was as small a hook as I could readily buy)
I tyed cover to cover in my beginning fly tying book. By then I was hopelessly caught in the current and could only throw money at the stream banks in hope a branch might save me.
Up to my fanny in alligators, only better equipment could save me. And a few more books on the subject. Once acquired it was tying until I got boxes filled with patterns. The little girl next door wondered why I was collecting bugs, because that is what they looked like to her.
And I owe a heaping helping of Thanks to ALL of YOU for the help and inspiration.
I tried as a kid to tye. But as I ripened into Old Fartdum, I again picked up the bug and spun in like a spider after a fly.

Special thanks to Ladyfisher, and Denny of Conranch Hackle for the beautiful cape and hackles.
And J. Stockard for the 14/0 ultrafine threads.
Found through FAOL, and the good folks who post here.