Being reintroduced to fly fishing and needing to get my self geared up, I became pretty cost conscious at the very beginning. Holy @#$%^!. Was I surprised at the latest technology etc from 40 years ago. I found it interesting you can spend 500.00 at the drop of a tackle box for a fly reel and yet you can go down to Sears and by a washer with a lot of steel, aluminum, porcelain, computers and switches. I know, I know, washer not any fun and won't catch fish. So I looked into many brands and styles of reels. Here's what I chose. I now have two Ross Fly Rise's with extra spools. The store kindly took them apart for me and I discovered drag system pretty much the same as their high end model. High to low the difference was one CNC aluminum and the other machined steel. The machine steel is then powder coated. Only deal is powder coat may chip if you drop. I do some metal fab as hobby and powder coat some things and find it more durable then one thinks. Now there's the reel warranty. I'm told if outside chips I just pay 20.00 and get reel replaced. So, ......................... how good is that. I'm not saying this is for everyone because some of those high enders are really beautiful. For the beginning budget it works out pretty well.

So from the newby in Idaho, hope this helps. I did learn a few things from some of your posts and really appreciate everyone's comments.

Have a great day.....................Idaho Joe