+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Practical difference between machined reels and cast reels

I am in the casting industry, and I have been to China and we machine tools from 6061-t6 Aluminum. Keep in mind that there are many different grades of aluminum. There are also many ways and alloys to make an aluminum casting. First off 6061 aluminum is 6061 whether it is machined in China, Germany or USA. A machined reel is not necessarily 6061 or a grade comparable. the reason that cast reels get a bad rap is that the cheapest way to make large quantities of cheap castings is High presser die-casting. the A380 alloy commonly used in Die-casting has less than 1% elongation (the ability to bend as opposed to break) where a high quality sand or low pressure mold casting can have as much as 6% elongation or comparable to 6061 billet stock. the problem is that the accuracy suffers in the other casting techniques and would have to incorporate more machining.

Long story short:

I believe that a machined 6061-t6 (or equivalent alloy) is a great reel material for both cost of material (as opposed to Titanium, ect) for weight and strength. I do expect that the reels of the future will be some kind of composite

also the finish is what protects the aluminum and varies from manufacture and is worth paying for especially in salt water.

I just returned from a Tarpon trip to San Felipe de Yucatan. While we were fishing, I spent some time thinking about the Billy Pate DD Tarpon Reel I was using and the truly great service I have received from Tibor Reels over the years. I mentally and visually compared my reel to other reels in the panga. In my final analysis "the quality is rembered long after the price is forgotten". Hasta pronto amigos, Tom

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Cool

When Tibor, Abel, Bauer to name three starts making their reels with a casting process then I might agree. I will agree that for most Saltwater fishing, with daily proper washing, etc the Cast, Painted, Reels will do ok. By the way High Modulus has a meaning also and it translates to lighter rods for the same action in most cases!
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread