Not all reels made in the Far East are inferior. That adds confusion, too. Sage's reels are made in China, and they're not shabby at all. TFO's reels are made in China, and the new BVK just won best in show at ICAST. The TFO Prism cast reels are deep anodized and very durable. LL Bean sells a reel I'm pretty sure is OEM'd for them by Okuma that is urethane coated. It costs about $30-50, depending on size (going from memory). It has been reviewed by several independent experts as a great value perfectly suitable for all types of fly fishing up through light saltwater duty. The Okuma Cascade is a polymer reel made in the Far East with a very good drag. It simply will not rust and cannot be bent. They things are nearly "bulletproof." They cost under $50. They come in sizes from 3-10wt. Carl Craig is one of the nation's top aerospace engineers. He has run procurement of aviation systems for some of the most critical agencies of the US government. He also owns Fly Fishing Benefactors, and designs his own fly reels which are made to his specifications in China. They are some of the best reels I've ever fished with. I've been trying to convince him to make saltwater reels for the past 3 years, but he's a trout fisherman and just won't bite.

Just like with everything else, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about manufacturing off-shore. There are good Asian manufacturers and bad ones. The trick is to know the difference and how to insure that you get what you pay for. Buying from American companies that will stand behind their products, whether made in the USA or elsewhere, is the key. Ross makes fine reels and I'm glad they're still making them in the USA. So I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Ross reel. But more choices are good for all of us, and there are some other excellent options out there: Lamson, TFO, Sage, LL Bean, Okuma, FFB...just to name some I can personally vouch for.