+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brewing Coffee - Whats Cooking - July 18, 2011

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Featherbender View Post
    If they all agreed, then they're all wrong!
    Thanks for that one. Made me laugh out loud.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I've never been inside a Starbucks or any other "coffee house". I don't know what Latte is and I don't want to know.
    I've drank coffee nearly every day for 50 years. I usually buy what ever brand is on sale but I've grown to like the richness of a dark roast. We've been using Wally's house brand dark roast lately.
    We use a Bunn coffee maker because its fast but my favorite is an old "drip" maker with a "tank" on top, the coffee in the middle and the pot on the bottom. Pour hot water in the top and wait until it drains through the coffee into the bottom. This type of coffee pot was popular in the 50's.

I'm accustomed to what I do, I like the resulting product. I see no reason to change or even try anything else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    So, tell me how to brew a great, not good, pot of coffee!

I would appreciate it!
    The way my grandmother built coffee is still my favorite. Nothing anyone here can say will change my mind or alter my opinion so save it. Besides that, you don't want to besmudge the reputation of such a fine woman as my grandmother.

You start by getting 2 quarts of spring water to a rolling boil. Throw in two to three handfulls of whatever coffee you have at hand. Boil 1/4 of the water away. Remove from heat and crack an egg into the pot adding a dollop of cold spring water at the same time to settle the grounds. Carefully pour off a cup and sip it.

That, gentlemen, is standup coffee!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

An egg? What becomes of said egg in the resulting drink?

Blog Entries

Grandma, with the true frugality of someone who had raised 5 kids through the Depression alone after Grandpa died, ate the egg. I never could do that.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    So, tell me how to brew a great, not good, pot of coffee!

I would appreciate it!

There are many methods of making a cup of coffee, and countless brands & grinds & roasts. But most of these methods and types will almost always produce only a girly-man cup of coffee. For the essence of real he-man coffee, you have to camp out right next to a fast moving trout stream, and the water for the brew has to come from the stream (afterall, the trout will be watching). Here's what I do ... have a favorite camping spot right next to a western North Carolina trout stream (near Robbinsville, NC), setup camp with my little popup camper and as soon as that's completed (and even before I line the fly rod) I get a pot of that cold, clear water and put it on the camp stove to boil. There's no electric hook-up at this site so the method to use is a percolator - now you have the water on the stove, no innards in the pot, just water. Into the strainer put the desired amount of coffee and just as soon as the water in the pot comes to a boil remove it from the heat AND THEN put the innards with the coffee into the pot and return to the heat ... only turn the heat down, way down ... and slow perk for six minutes. At the end of that time remove the pot from the heat and just let it set for maybe a minute. Now it's ready to enjoy.

Now, here's a pic of that little popup camper and my favorite campsite ~

I read Parnelli's article when it came out. I like what he said about the HOT water. A couple years ago we had some folks on here who were burning their own beans and grinding them. I got into that and found a few coffee beans I like to use and now roast my own blend. I like a good strong cup of joe. Never cared for the major coffee shops. I always said "Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks."
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread