+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brewing Coffee - Whats Cooking - July 18, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Brewing Coffee - Whats Cooking - July 18, 2011

Brewing Coffee

Charles Kuralt's "On the Road", a major feature of the CBS Evening News in the 1960's, in his book by the same title said?

"In the USA, the further west I travel, the weaker the coffee becomes!"

Charles Kuralt, really appreciated a properly brewed cup of coffee, and so do I.*

being in the San Francisco area I can not agree with the weak as you go west part. San Francisco bay area has the best coffee I have ever had from the chains like Peets to the small coffee shop. But as you go west until you hit northern California it does seem to have some truth.

So, tell me how to brew a great, not good, pot of coffee!

I would appreciate it!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Having grown up in North and South Dakota, not that far removed from Minnesota, I quess I also know what makes a good cup of coffee. Now that I reside in Western Washington, I still know what a good cup of coffee is. I find that as I go East the coffee gets weaker. I hate being able to see the bottom of the cup when freshly brewed black coffee is poured into the cup. What makes a good cup of coffee, in my opinion, is JeffW's coffee roasted to the second crack in his homemade popcorn popper/coffee roaster, ground fine the next day, and put under pressure in a good espresso maker. The result is a sippable concoction that is smooth as silk and rich as can be.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I second that REE

For the home brew breakfast blend before work "good pot o' coffee", regardless of brand, one tablespoon per cup, not mug, but 8 oz, and use COLD water for brewing. It makes a difference! Now i can't disagree with a fine brew of premium/gourmet..that a whole different subject.

Blog Entries

Starbucks Sumatra coffee. The darkest and strongest coffee they have yet is low in acid.

I always have to chuckle when people say no to Starbucks, sorry REE, but they have so many flavors and blends from all over the world that there has to be one you would like. After all, if they didn't make a great cup of coffee they would not still be around with coffee shops all over the world. I always take my own coffee pot and my bag of Starbucks Sumatra with me when I travel. It is one of those things that you don't leave home without. .

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    So, tell me how to brew a great, not good, pot of coffee!

I would appreciate it!
    I have to disagree with part of the article. You simply won't get great pot of coffee using Folgers or equivalent coffee. The stuff is "commodity coffee" and usually aged past its prime while in a warehouse (among other issues). If you want great coffee, you need great coffee to start with, recently roasted with a short rest time after (1 week max). Variety and roast level is up to the individual. Some like it burned, I personally prefer something lighter, where the local bean variety comes through. Some like the earthy indonesian and african, while others like the smoother central american and ethiopian varieties. It appears that I fall pretty much in the opposite end of the taste preference spectrum as featherbender, but I wouldn't say his choice of beans are inferior by any means. Personal preference plays a large part of the puzzle, but you must start with quality coffee to start with.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 07-23-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I've spent my life at times drinking....and at times it seems "living" off of coffee. I drink my coffee black...no sugar...and like it bold but not overly so. I can appreciate a good cup of coffee whether it is boiled along a stream....in an elk camp....from a kwiki-mart.....or brewed at home. My only issue with coffee is that it not be burnt, nor should it be weak. I prefer coffee to be just warmer than hot water from the tap before drinking. Not too hot.

I buy fresh roasted beans at home, no more than a pound at a time so it stays fresh till the end. And I grind each pot as I use it. Always cold water.

In camp.....a 12-cup camp pot brought to boil. Dump in 1/3-cup of course ground coffee. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, pour in 1/2 cup of cold water, and let settle for about 3 more minutes.

Any time of the day is a good time for coffee.....and evenings after dinner are my favorite.

Featherbend:

All the National Polling in the United States, for many years, have been all been in agreement that of all "Over The Counter Coffee Fresh Brewed Coffee", "Ducking Donut" Coffee is still the #1 in all the ratings..... ~Parnelli

Everyone Else"

The key message in my "Brewing Coffee" for Whats Cooking is the amount of ground coffee to the amount of "off boil" water that passes through the ground coffee, so you do not extract the "bitters" along with the "sweets"

Brewing Coffee, is a complete different subject from the Coffee Roasting process.

Last I cannot help what "Charles Kuralt" said, his words not mine! And I agree with him on weak coffee being poured down the throats of people who do not know what a properly brewed cup of coffee tastes like. And "Charles Kuralt's" remarks are from the 1960's, over 50 years ago! Times where different then, most of his "On the Road with Charles Kuralt" segments were by driving down the back roads of "America" not on the Interstate Highways.

And these 28 ounce Styrofoam cups at Super America Stations are a abomination.

For a home brewed cup or mug of "Joe" I will stay with my method of brewing, only using Folger's 100% Columbian Coffee, in a pinch I might brew some Hills Brothers or Maxwell House! But only in a pinch! ~Parnelli

PS: When on Night Guard Duty in the U.S. Army, I sometimes munched on roasted coffee beans then washed them down with a swig of water from my canteen, to avoid nodding off, which is a Court-Marshal Offense!
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 07-26-2011 at 11:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread