+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pike flies for 8wt

Hybrid View

Default Pike flies for 8wt

Looking for suggestions. I've tied a few, but looking for more. Heading to Southern Ontario in 2wks. Thanks!

It gives me something to occupy my time on the night shift.

I've had great success in Lake of the Woods, Nestor Falls area, tying big Clousers # 1 or 2, in bright patterns (chartreuse, orange, green i.e. fire tiger) Also several years ago I caught a 39" Northern on Whitlock's Deep Sheep using a full sink line. Big Dalhberg Divers are good in the grassy areas. I also tied up some special fishy looking things using a lot of palmered bunny fur, flashabhou, baby doll eyes, etc. about 3-4 inches long with great success. I used to go to Nestor Falls every June, but haven't been in a while. Good luck! Wish I was going with you.

If the fish are going to be shallow, I really like Lefty's Decievers in the same colors mentioned above but also tie some darker colors like all black, black/gray, etc. just in case.

Good luck!

I recommend big saltwater flies (6 inches +)

Bill

This won't help you at all, most likely. However, I grew up fishing northern MN/southern Ontario, most of the time on Lake of the Woods. When we wanted Northerns (which was typically only when lakers or walleye weren't cooperating), the standard rig was something red/yellow or red/white. Spoons and spinners were popular.

I'd tie up a bunch or Clousers or Decievers in red/yellow and red/white, probably size 2 and 1/0 mostly. Poppers may be a bunch of fun as well. I used to love trolling along cattail beds casting a Lil' Devil spoon along the weeds. Northerns are an impressive fish when they strike.

We would take along our striper bugs and use them for Northerns. Mostly we toss Embellished Lefty's Deceivers. The ONE thing we do when tying bugs specially for Northerns is to cement after EVERY step. A little effort to attain durability is usually greatly rewarded.
    .....lee s.

+ Reply to Thread