I am currently experimenting with pool noodles as protection for my rods. It initially started out as protection during transportation but is now branching out into cheap protection along with floatation for trips in the canoe. I am a good swimmer but my main concern with capsizing the canoe is the loss of my gear. In particular my rods.

I am currently experimenting with them to see which noodles will give the best floatation. I do not like tethers nor do I care for any of the storage devices that permanently attach to the canoe. I use a public mooring slip so in the interest of prevent theft/vandalism everything has to come off of the canoe at the end of the day.

What I have done with these things is buy the ones that are hollow in the middle, slit one side through to the center along the entire length of the noodle and then slip it over the rod just above the grips. You can either cover the individual rod pieces or if needed use parts from two noodles to cover longer fully assembled rods. They are easily glued together with a hot glue gun.

I am open to ideas/suggestions on this as some of you have probably already tried it. I will try to do a photo essay on it if you all are interested. What can I say as I am always looking for ways to do things on a Dollar Store budget.