+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flamed bamboo?

Default flamed bamboo?

When buying bamboo is a "flamed blank" worth the extra $s? How does flaming improve performance?

Thanks, John
    John Straight
    JLS Custom Rods
    Cassadaga,NY

John, I'm not convinced the flaming does anything except cosmetically....some think it looks very cool. Flaming can be light or very dark and the amount varies as well. It really is a matter of taste.

Flaming is cosmetic, but it looks cool! Some feel it tempers the rod however most all rod makers fully temper all their rods.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Can flaming weaken a rod? I'm not talking about excessive flaming - but normal flaming? Is there risk?(this may be a dumb question!) Hope this question is relevant and not high-jacking - i apologize in advance.

Best regards, Dave S.

Not an expert but i suggest that flaming will remove excess moisture from the outer layers which can strengthen the fibers that affect the ability to resist bending (flexing) that determines the action of the rod. Lumber purchased at lumber yards are typically kiln dried to reduce weight and to strengthen the wood

Bamboo is also dried prior to building for the same reasons.

I'm of the opinion that well executed flaming will indeed add strength and resiliency to Tonkin cane.
    They can also be rods of unequalled beauty. Check out E.W. Edwards deeply flamed rods or Fred Thomas's
    elegant Mahogany and Browntone models, if you ever have the opportunity. Paul Young also used flaming and
    his rods treated this way are again unequalled in their backbone and resiliency.

Not to say flaming is the be-all, end-all for a powerful bamboo fly rod.

Most early production companies used some type of tempering of the cane. Impregnation was a later development.
    Ovens, ammonia treatments, etc. Modern builders likewise!
    Last edited by bobbyg; 07-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

IMO, flamming does "improve performance" , as in helps a rod resist sets and does "stiffen" the action a bit...flamming is not an absolute, as a proper and consistent heat treating regime can do the same thing. I flame the majority of my rods because I feel it makes a better rod, but its just that "feel". Now is it worth it? Depends on how much your being charged!!

On the other hand, I seldom flame a rod. IMHO It doesn't make much sense to me to work hard to preserve as much of the power fibers as possible when you've turned the strongest outer ones to carbon. Proper heat treatment will do everything that you might achieve with flaming, and does so in a controlled and consistent manner. Like most aspects of making bamboo blanks, there are lots of ways to get to the end product. You can have a beautifully fishable rod blonde or dark... and like my fellow maker above, worth it, is in the mind of the customer. If someone wants flamed, I'll do it, but it'll cost ya.
    Last edited by Baithog; 07-18-2011 at 09:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread