+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Landing a heavy fish (like a carp)

Default Landing a heavy fish (like a carp)

For those interested in landing a very big fish on light tackle such as a carp on a 5 wt rod, we used this method in Alaska for Kings taken in rivers. It is very effective and fast. Even a strong fresh fish will come right in.

Hold your rod tip up and just walk backwards and the fish will come right in. My son caught a large carp just yesterday here in Utah. He said he couldn't control it until he walked it into shallow water where he could get his hands on it. This is good method where terrain will allow it and reduces the fatigue on the fish. Just don't drag it through the dirt, sticks and rocks. Keep it in shallow water. Unless of course you plan to eat your big King or Silver (or carp, arrrrgh).

Caught a little one yesterday--10 Lbs -- and that wouldn't work. Everytime he saw me he would take off again and I had it on my 8weight-------

------------------
    Bill

I use that method on Kings & Steelhead, but it usually doesn't work until they're pretty tired out. Other wise, they just run back out.
    The best way i've found is to use a side to side motion and fight them with the butt of the rod. After they've tired out, then you can lead them in.

A net is still the best option. When I dont have a net, I get the carp's head out of the water so eh will get tired(no eoxygen) and disoriented. I then grab its anal fin area with one hand and "chest" with the other hand, grip it tight and lat it on the softest area I can find

Here in Texas we got sum bigg fish. Most of us fellers carry a 410 shotgun when we's fishin fer them biguns. when the fish gets close just popem with that scattergun and then u can just walkup and pickem up.

I WAS gonna post some good recipets' for carps but youse can just forget it with that attitude.
    I'll keep my secrets of the Orient to myself then.

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing and standing in a river waving a stick, and YOU SIR have crossed that line!
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

A carp can withstand some pretty long periods out of water and needs very little oxygen in the water, Two parts per million if I'm not mistaken.

I've seen ppl release carp into holding ponds they built to keep them alive for weeks in clean water prior to killing and filleting them,After an hour laying on the bed of their pickup.
    Doubt keeping their head out of water for any short periods is going to have much of an effect on their fighting abilities..Love the things to much to ever think of killing em...!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I think the main concern is removing the protective slime. Even if fish do live, they may die a week later from infection. But, yes most fish are hardy and will survive being caught

Den,

You are exactly right. That is how I landed this nice 28" Rainbow on the Kenai today. After working him down a little bit, walked backwards to pull him into a nice easy-transition shallow.

Great day on the Kenai.

------------------
    Flying Fisherman in AK

+ Reply to Thread