+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rpd length vs boat you are fishing from?

Default Rod length vs boat you are fishing from?

ICW what rod is the best all around rod for inland trout....lot of opinions indicate a 9' 5 or 6wt rod.

I have read that a 10-11' rod out of a pontoon boat is too long, you would have difficulty netting the fish.

9' to help you cast out from your low level toon in the water.

I never thought I could ever ever afford anything but a toon. I have aquired a 38 year old boat that seems to be totally functional.

I get to sit up high on the bow with a bow mounted, foot controlled motor.

So, do I still need to use 9' rods? Or can I get by with say 7' rods? Reason being short rods are much easier to deal with in transportation...boaf in the boat as well as in the pickup. I better go check, but I think the 7' fly rod could be stored in the side compartment complete and ready to fish. I could switch from a sinking rod setup to a floater in a heart beat, if this were to work out.

So I would like to fly fish for all species. Large mouth bass, smallmouth bass, carp, pike, stripers, etc. Even catfish. By using all short fly rods I should be able to pack along an 8wt fly rod to toss those big flies, and a small fly rod for trout.

I do know one time I learned something. Trying a short Lil' Streamer 5' rod from a very small light weight 8' fiberglass boat. That boat floats like a feather on top of the water, not sitting down into the water with stability. The short 5' rod got me line tangled into the trolling motor. Not thinking about it I moved to the end of the boat to try and get fly line loose. That's all it took for the little boat to take on water and capsize! So I sure know how a short rod can get you in trouble on a boat out on the water. (yes I didn't have gear secured in a bag tied to boat. So I lost all flies, reels, rods, battery, anchor, vest, everything I owned! I had a lot of awesome flies I had been buying off FAOL and collectting for years. Lost all of it)

Anyway, it would be an interesting read for me, and perhaps others to hear comments on this subject. At least to me it would be. Save me a lot of time and trial and error experimenting....

If some of the more experienced fishermen on here would share some of their knowledge, and experiences about fishing from the bow of a boat it would be great.

Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

Jim
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 07-07-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Jim,

I usually use 11 foot rods when I am fishing from my pontoon boat or WaterMaster raft. If you have a long leader, like 11 feet, then there is no problem in getting the fish netted or to the boat. That extra 2 feet of rod helps keep the line off the water when casting and it allows you to guide the fish away from any anchor rope you may have in the water.

However, you are going to be fishing from an actual boat so a 9 foot rod is perfect. For me, the only time I use short rods are either when I am pocket water fishing on small streams or when I am casting my Sage Bass rods. But, if you want to fish with a shorter rod, that is totally up to you. However, the shorter the rod the less you will be able to control the fish away from any motor parts that are in the water or anchor ropes.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Jim,

It sounds like you have acquired a "bass boat" with a raised casting platform up front and if that is the case, rod length would not be your main problem to manage. Your main problem would be fly line management. Trust me on this because "been there & done that". Since you have a foot controlled trolling motor, you will have a constant battle with the fly line constantly getting tangled around the foot control and any other obstacles on the front deck. If there happens to be an anchor rope cleat on top of the sides of the casting platform, you will need to remember that when you lay the rod down across the side it will slide down and stop just under the end of the cleat and if you are not careful, when you pick up the rod you will break it. Don't ask me how I know that......

A 9' rod will work out great and I do not feel you will need anything longer. The fly rods being offered now for bass fishing from a boat are offered in a length no longer than 7' 11" so that they will fit in the rod box plus meet tournament regulations of length. I think your distance casting will be affected by a 7' rod and feel that an 8' or longer would be best.

Just my thoughts and nothing more....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Excellent information. I thank you both for the info. Very intersting Larry. I can't tell you how many times I have either read, or been told not to use anything longer than 9' from a toon! All say can't land the fish. I happen to have ignored that advise and have two favorite rods. One being a wonderful 11' 6wt rod and the other a 10' 5wt rod. Had not tried the 11' from a toon yet. Due to the sage advise not to.

My old aching body getting too broken down to wanna toon fish or river fish anymore. The idea of floating a boat off a trailer and go fishing really appeals to me. No chest waders, no flippers. I can WALK around in my boat. I love it...but haven't had it on the water yet. Nice tip on the anchor cleats. This is a 1973 Glascon 14'5 foot fiberglass boat. Yes, I would classify it as a bass boat. Not necessarily what I bought it for. I want to fish for all species...with a fly rod. I would like to attack many other species besides trout. I am by far NOT your purist river fishing dry fly fisherman by no shape of the imagination.

Sounds like 9' or more in a fly rod be just fine. Well, that's a good thing, cause I lot's of them. <grin> I wonder if I can spey cast and or use a two handed rod from that high up boat seat? Guess I need to stop asking questions....and just go try a few things. I have been replacing batteries, re-wiring....etc. Been strightening up the boat to make it more clean with less objects around. Now after your info Warren it indicates benifits I hadn'g thought of. Less obstructions to get fly line tangled in. There are about 12 or more metal things riveted to the top of the side rails. I intend to remove them and make it all smooth. I don't need the bimini top anchors on the railings. And there are several just little loops riveted onto the boat. I see no need for them. Will remove them, and if I Want to add an eyebolt or something somewhere I will just mount one.

Sorry to ramble, but 'tis a pretty clean succinct area around the seat and floor....to not have a lot of tangles with the fly line. Glad you brought it up. I will focus on that now. I have several optional places for batteries. That area being one of them, behind a door. But now I know I need to keep that area clear for fishing with a fly line.

Thanks again gents. Good words and exactly the type of info I was searching for. Well done Larry and Warren.

If I ever find my camera maybe I post a pic just for grins. At least it would display the unit I am trying to fix up.

Jim
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 07-07-2011 at 04:17 PM.

If you have a foot controlled trolling motor on the boat, unless it's one of the wireless controls, that is likely to be the greatest source of something to tangle your line on/in. I remember seeing something about using a small mesh net to cover the foot control to lessen the tangle challenge. A hand control allows you to use a minimum length electrical cable, assuming the the boat is wired for the trolling motor. If it isn't wired, it's a task worth doing.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have a small 12' aluminum v-boat. I have found that I seem to cast better wading, than I do out of a boat... I'm not sure why, I think my timing gets off, by the rocking of the boat when I cast though. Who knows.

Overall, my biggest issue is trying to keep the line free at my feet, from tangling in other rods, the fish finder, my tackle box, or even the strap on my boat seat. LOL

My boat is stable enough that I can stand, or go to a corner and it won't swamp with water though.

I use a 9' and a 9'6" rod when fishing from the boat.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Whitewolf and branhap,

To avoid the problems that Warren mentioned (i.e. the line finding ways to tangle around everything, everytime), I recommend that you use a stripping basket. I use the mesh type basket whenever I fish from the shore (or I'm not wading) or when I'm fishing out of a boat, especially if I'm able to stand when casting. It keeps the line from tangling and adds 10 feet to my casts. With a stripping basket I can cast almost 20 feet

Jim Smith

Rod lenght is a personal preference. I use 9ft rods for most of my boat fishing but I use shorter rods like my Sage BASS rods for cetain applications as appropriate.

Managing loose line while fishing in a boat can be a problem but there are a number of solutions. The best I have found are rigid buckets with spikes in the bottom. The Pro-Trim Line Tamer, Pleskunas VLMD, and Sea Level rigid Foam Bucket are three excellent commercially available devices. You strip your line into these. You can also put a little water in the bottom to keep the line lubricates and less likely to tangle. When you are moving spots you can just set the rod butt in the bucket. No more lines tangling on motors, cleats, foot controls, stepping on line, etc. The rigid buckets also provide a little support if you lose your footing and need to grab something. I consider these devices essential equipment. Similar devices can be crafted by the do ot yourselfer. Next best option is a strpping basket worn around the waist.

To manage and protect my rods while having them ready to fish, I have them fully rigged and stored in Dan Blanton's Rigged n' Ready rod bags. Rods are fully rigged and broken into two section. The bags keep the rods from getting tangled and from getting dinged up in the boat. The bag will float a rod and reel for a while if they go over the side. The fully rigged rod in the bag will fit in the rod lockers of many boats. I often carry as many 8 rods rigged and stored in these bags when in a boat. The bags roll up and store easily when the rod is removed. Waterstrider sells a similar bag that is a few dollars less than Blanton's but not as well made. You can get the Blanton bags from Dan directly or from Sea Level Flyfishing.

All good advice given here but pay special attention to the stripping container. If you don't invest a few bucks in a stripping basket or the mentioned bucket to strip line into you will end up taking a header into the water due to the line tangling around your feet.

Rod length isn't a big issue because you are in a boat and can get closer to the fish. I would think 7'6" to 9' would be best. I use a 9' out of the canoe.

Thanks to all for the good info. I had no idea line tangle would be such a big issue. Almost every post, if not all....are addressing line tangle and line management. Wow, I hadn't even given that any concern. I have a lot of lakes here in my area to fish. For many species as well. My body hurts so much now a days. I would not even consider wade fishing. I gotta be sitting somewhere. So this boat will help me out a lot. I am appreciative of the information. I knew nothing about Blanton's rigged rod cases either. I have already ran the wires for the front trolling motor and the foot pedal, down through the front top or hull, so they will be outta the way. Foot pedal could be an issue. I want to rig or get one of those buckets. I think that do the trick for me.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread