Quote Originally Posted by fishdog54 View Post
Perhaps people have become complacent with the word "Park" and fail to recognize the fact that this is a Wilderness area! It's also possible that one of the last remaining areas in the lower 48 with a significant population of Grizzly bears is not being taken seriously enough for fear of losing tourist dollars?

Like some others on this thread, I have a tendency to get far from the "maddening crowd". If I were to do that in Yellowstone, it would be under the full understanding that I am entering the world of a carnivore that has the full ability to treat me like a chew toy at their whim, and no matter how much I try to convince myself that they would probably just leave me alone, I would also have to ask myself, what in their genetic make-up and eons of adapting to their environment is going to convince them that I am nothing more than just another potential item on the menu?

The further you travel into their territory the more likely you will just be another tidbit to them! To give them any kind of (human-type) reasoning abilities is folly at best! To even expect them to react the same way, twice to the same stimulus, is dangerous!

Personally, I think they should take down all the wildlife warning signs - they serve no purpose and give visitors the false sense of security that the Park Service is in control at all times - their not! It's like having deer crossing signs at specific locations in Pennsylvania - one sign at every entrance to the state, stating that there are deer in Penna. and they could be anywhere should do it! Pay Attention!!

The only way to ensure that there will not be ANY bear-people conflicts, would be to either give them their own human-free space, or to eradicate the grizzlies! You'd also have to get the Canadians to get rid of theirs too!

We also have to stop portraying these animals as something other than what they are, so someone doesn't get it into their head that they want to try to get close, or even more ridiculous, try to pet a bison or elk or a cuddly lil ol' bear! Gee, thems some mighty cute wolf puppies over there - lets go give'em a big ol' hug!!

Best regards, Dave S.
++++++++++1. It's why they are in cages in Zoos.

If you get the willies while walking through the woods, pay attention. It's your early warning system that's been honed and passed down thru the generations (by evolution) to you. A gift from your ancestors. Don't try to reason it out of your head by stating your brave or fearless. It has a purpose. If your not experiencing FEAR, then there is definitely something wrong with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Survival...owViewpoints=1