Sport fishing column for July 4 to 11, 2011

It was a sun-burnt Sunday for many of us who got out fishing over the long weekend. I am sure there are some who, like my youngest encountered the adventure of sun stroke. The jump from Junuary to summer on the 1st of July may have caught many of us without the sun screen, but has been a boon to lake fisheries through-out the province.

With arrival of summer it is time to switch our main fishing strategies, to concentrating on early mornings and evenings. Do not confuse early mornings with first light. Over the years I have found that morning bite begins when the sun has warmed the water surface enough for the insects to start moving, and ends when the sun gets too hot. The morning bite, because of the variables of water temperature and the sun's intensity can be hard to catch. A more consistent and reliable bite comes in the evening. In evening the water has been warmed all day, and insect activity begins as soon as the sun is replaced by shadows. The key is in understanding that insects do not perspire, which leaves them no effective way of cooling themselves. They require the right temperature to hatch, but burn up when it gets too hot. This balance of warm enough, but not too hot, facilitates a short window of activity on most mornings, and large window activity on most evenings.

I know my critics may not agree with my observations and analysis, which is okay since none of us knows the whole answer, and never will unless we learn to speak insect.

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Coachman, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Sixpack, Dragonfly Nymph, Halfback, Doc Spratley, Baggy Shrimp, or Zulu. For dry (floating) fly action try: Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, or Renegade. For Kokanee try: Red Abbis, Bloodworm, Red Spratley, San Juan Worm, Red Quill, or Double Trude.

Our lower mainland bass and panfish are fishing very well. For bass try: Wooly bugger, Big Black, Lizard, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Zonker, Tied Down Minnow, Bucktail, Dolly Whacker, Frogs, Poppers, Chernobyl Ant, Stimulator, or Crayfish, in sizes 8 to 4. For Crappie or Pumpkinseed try: Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Micro Leach, Bucktail, Tied Down Minnow, Dolly Whacker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Poppers, Joe's Hopper, Chernobyl Ant, or Stimulator, in sizes 12 to 8.

Fishing is good on most of our interior lakes. For wet fly fishing try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Egg Sucking Leach, Chironomid, Bloodworm, Pumpkinhead, Dragonfly Nymph, Halfback Nymph, 52 Buick. Doc Spratley, Green Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry fly try: Irresistible, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Tom Thumb, Renegade, Double Hackled Peacock, Goddard Caddis, or Elk Hair Caddis.