Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
I believe a lot of fly guys go overboard on this leader/tippet thing. I think that most of your angling can be done by tying your fly directly to the leader. Most of my fishing is done this way. I belong to the KISS (keep it simple stupid) club and usually use either 4 or 6 lb Stren. It has worked for me for over 50 years.

Here is a link to some words of widsom on this subject: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/arti.../cst080403.php

Tim
Tim, are you saying you don't use a tapered leader to nymph you just tie a piece of mono to your butt end and fish? I was actually just experimenting with something like that on Saturday. I broke off my tapered dry fly leader, which I tie with pieces of Stren, and decided to go back to nymphing. Instead of changing spools to my nymph line I just put one long piece of 5x tippet on and began to nymph. I started to wonder if just using one piece of untapered leader got my nymph down quicker and with less shot. I also felt there was more feel from through my leader to my nymph. What do you think?
Bruce