+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Texas Coast

Default Texas Coast

Me and a buddy are planning on taking a weekend trip to the coast to do some fishing next weekend. Neither one of us has any experience fly fishing in the salt. We are A & M students so will be traveling from College Station and have no boat or kayak and was wanting some suggestions of where to go and techniques to wade fish. From the research we have done Laguna Madre is the spot to go for wade fishing but wanted somewhere closer to go since we only have the weekend.

I have fished the lower Laguna Madre with a guide and boat. You really need a power boat to get around this area since the distances are pretty large. I have heard of people fishing the area around Port Aransas using kayaks and Galveston Bay on foot. You might check with the texasflyfishers.org website to get some better local info.

Good Luck!
    Ted

Howdy Ags, a little longer in the tooth than you guys, Class of 70. This is the absolute Bible of What and Where on the coast to go Wading or Kayak fishing, get,
    "Wade and Kayak Fishing on the Coastal Bend of Texas" by Ray Crawford. Truly excellent and everything you will need. Go by and tell Dave Hayward, Howdy at the Orvis Fly Shop in Rockport. Dave is a great guy and can give you some tips and sell you some flies that will work.

Best of Luck and Gig'em!

Probably too late, but you can always rent kayaks from Outdoor Adventures behind the Rec Ctr if you have a means of transporting them. Also, in Aransas Pass, check out slowrideguide.com for rentals in the Port A area. Great fishing in that area. In Houston, you can rent from Fishing Tackle Unlimited on I45 and Fuqua if you are heading to Galveston.

With kayaks you can get just about anywhere you want to wade and it's faster in most cases. Hope you have a great time.

Peter
    Class of 2000

+ Reply to Thread