I am listing for sale my brand new McFarland 7wt. 8'3" 3pc. Yellow Glass fly rod that I just finished building. I am asking $325 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 with priority mail. There is no rod sock or case. The reel is not included. It has been cast off my dock for about an hour and does not have a single fish to date. Everything is in mint condition.

I was extremely happy with how this rod turned out. It looks magnificent! However, this is my only other genuine experience with a fiberglass fly rod other than my 7' Steffen 2/3 wt. I did not anticipate the physical weight of a 7wt. fiberglass rod and I do not think I will feel comfortable casting this rod for longer periods of time. I am sure the McFarland blank is right on par with the weight of other fiberglass rods, but I have determined that I prefer a graphite rod at this line weight (sorry to all of you fiberglass fans out there). I have a strong preference for the decreased swing weight of a graphite rod for a 7wt. which is not something that I noticed at the 2/3wt. level comparing the Steffen to other graphite counterparts.

As for the components, I used pacbay black snake guides and antique gold silk for the wraps. The finish made the wraps translucent and I believe you can see from some of the pictures that the snake feet are clearly visible. The seat is a Struble D-1 aluminum downlocking seat with a paper birch burl insert that I turned. I turned the grip from a preglued stick of cork that Mike provided for me. I made the grip a straight cigar grip that tapers into an epoxy ramp for the winding check. The cork is probably not quite flor grade (in my opinion) but definitely adequate and still very attractive.

I wish I preferred the heavier fiberglass rod over graphite, because I LOVE the slow action and how it bends so deep and has a great "fish-on" feel. But I have enough experience casting graphite that I know I favor the casting characteristics of graphite more than the "fish on" feeling of fiberglass. I think I am going to try an older superfine 6wt. Trout or superfine 7wt. all arounder that may give me the best of both worlds.

I require paypal for payment and you may email me at coltrane45@hotmail.com or "PM" me if interested.

Colt