Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
Not necessarily so... several signatories were captured and later released... Every needs to read and understand "The Fate of the Signatories" http://www.mega.nu/declarers.html

It is great short read that details these men and their fate. I learned many facts about these men that I did not know, and so will you.

Happy Fourth!

Bowfin47
Actually being from Pennsylvania I have read extensively about them as you will find most older pennsylvanians have. I read that survey and frankly, like most of them that is just one persons' take on it. Like most it contains some facts and more personal opinion or speculation. It is a good read an one more that one can use to gain knowledge but none of the ones I have read can be taken as absolute truth. Read their diaries, memoirs, letters, notes and personal observances. They were in great fear of their lives for good reason too. Had any of them actually been physically put before the throne they faced the hangman's noose. Remember King George III himself declared these men traitors.

Regardless, the document stands as one of the greatest ever written. Happy Independence Day to all!