+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simms to sell felt soles boots again!

What concerns me about the entire subject of invasive species - didymo, mud snails, whirling disease, etc. - is that it is presumed that anglers are the main cause of the spread of these organisms. In reality, on most waterways anglers make up a rather insignificant percentage of the total number of water users. We have swimmers, tubers, kayakers, rafters, water boarders, canoers, and a plethora of pleasure boaters. Each of these water users has a greater potential of transporting invasive species than the angling public. This is not to mention the waterfowl, cormorants, pelicans, ospreys, eagles and other water birds that routinely move from drainage to drainage.
    This is not to encourage anglers to be lax in their concern about transporting invasive species from one place to another, but the reality is that we are only a very small part of the problem. In addition, while we do not desire to introduce these pests into more and more places it's like Pandora's Box, we have let them out and it is unlikely that we will be able to completely contain them. Fortunately, God has made the creatures in this creation quite adaptable and althought these things do have an impact on our recreation the sky is not falling and life as we know it will not end because of these things.

Conspiracy Theory

Wearing felt on the river is the only thing that comes close to traction on a slippery river bead. Everything else is playing catch up. The need for something that is better for the environment has greatly excelled past the research and development to replace felt (if there ever was one). But felt is a known carrier of bugs and stuff so the knee jerked and the ban (in areas) was implemented. So the manufactures of wading boots stopped the felt soles and went with the latest and greatest umm no wait I got it the latest and greatest umm rubber and screw studs or just studs and sent fly fishermen out to have an open competition of the best imitation of Charley Brown kicking a football. So when the latest retiree of the law firm of Dowe, Screwum, & Howe went on his first trip to the water in his early retirement came in first in the Charley Brown contest (and he didn’t even know he was entered) while floating down the river (if he was in the river competition and not the parking lot competition) he had time to contemplate how he was going to get those guys at (Manufacture’s Name Here)

Felt is just safer to use and nothing replacing it has come close enough to warrant a compromise and in closing was there any development and research done before the knee jerked and the foot slipped and Charley went past horizontal arms whirling fast enough to support himself against gravity till he realizes it was futile, corrects to horizontal and drops for a perfect 10.

Or if you don’t like that one someone from (Manufacture’s Name Here) got a day off and went fishing and entered a Charley Brown contest and when he washed ashore or woke up and thought holy cow we could get sued.
    Last edited by Lake Erie High Ball; 07-04-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: add
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

I am also glad to see that Simms is going to offer felt soles for sale again in the future. It can't be soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

This coming week, I'm going into Yellowstone National Park to procure my motorized boat permit. Motorized boats are allowed on Yellowstone and Lewis Lakes in the Park. While I keep my boat extremely clean, I know that many other people do not. When I got my permit there last year I was told they normally have someone to inspect the cleanliness of your boat before issuing you the permit. However, no one was available to do the inspection at the time so I got the permit without an inspection being done. This year, I picked up the application form for the permit a couple weks ago (when there was still ice on the lakes) and did not have my boat with me, but was told I could have purchased the permit then. It seems to me that if the Park Service is serious about controlling the spread of invasive species (including fish) they should do a thorough inspection of boats (and probably any bait buckets in them at the time as well!).

John,
    Part of the problem is no one is inspecting the tires on the boat trailers, under the rims of the tires, other "parts" which get wet but are not inspected either. The whole thing has become a huge joke...which you so well illustrated.
    Hugs,
    LF

Yes - it's like no one wants to address the elephant in the room, but are all over the poor mouse!

Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread