+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cache La Poudre and Joe Wright areas of Colorado

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Cache La Poudre and Joe Wright areas of Colorado

I've decided to make a trip out to catch grayling (and trout) in Colorado, and I might even be dragging tlerm with me. We are planning on hitting Joe Wright for part of one day for the grayling, and then heading out from there to get into some trout. I was in the general area 2 or 3 years ago, and had a good time fishing some streams in the roosevelt forest, and am possibly looking at doing it again. I tried to meet up with another FAOL member on that trip, but it didn't quite work out and we missed each other.

We'll be camping, and probably arriving in the area Friday AM, and fishing Friday and Saturday before leaving Sunday AM. The date is still not set in stone, but possibly we'll be out there on August 19th and 20th.

Anyone have any suggestions for us or care to meet up for some fishing? I would welcome any recommendations or pointers that you may have for us as well regarding fishing locations, patterns, or campspots.

Greg
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I thought the Big Hole river in MT has the Southern most population of Grayling??
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Blog Entries

From what I understand, Colorado stocked them for a while. Not sure if they still do or not. Joe Wright has a population that is sustaining itself now, and they are found in several other lakes as well.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

You are correct Blue, Joe Wright has a self sustaining population of Grayling and you can catch them! Just over the pass in North Park are a myriad of small streams and Rivers that have lots of DOW leased access. Look at the Colorado fishing network website for stream flows and current hatches.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I haven't heard how Joe Wright has been fishing, but here is a recent posting about it on a local forum: http://www.fishexplorer.com/co/fxrfo...det&pid=220705

Here are links to the same good local fishing forum with info on the water, and some current conditions:
    FishExplorer: Joe Wright Reservoir
    FishExplorer: Cache la Poudre

Also, here is a link to the Colorado Streamflow page for the South Platte drainage. The Poudre is running extremely high right now!
    Colorado Streamflows, South Platte drainage
    Last edited by CO_Flyfisher; 06-29-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Flyfisher View Post
    I haven't heard how Joe Wright has been fishing, but here is a recent posting about it on a local forum: http://www.fishexplorer.com/co/fxrfo...det&pid=220705

Here are links to the same good local fishing forum with info on the water, and some current conditions:
    FishExplorer: Joe Wright Reservoir
    FishExplorer: Cache la Poudre

Also, here is a link to the Colorado Streamflow page for the South Platte drainage. The Poudre is running extremely high right now!
    Colorado Streamflows, South Platte drainage
    I agree. The South Platte is about the only thing around that isn't blown out from runoff. We had a snowpack that ran as much as 400% of normal. Last I heard, Trail Ridge Road (12,000+ ft) was not open yet and may not open this summer! It is almost always open by Memorial Day. With all flood control on the South Platte, flows are pretty good for the most part. They are refilling several reservoirs that suffered greatly over the last few dry years.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by luckie88 View Post
    I thought the Big Hole river in MT has the Southern most population of Grayling??
    I have caught a total of 1 grayling in my life from a lake in the White Mountains in AZ. Which I am pretty sure is south of Montana.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckie88 View Post
    This is true wrt fluvial (stream dwelling) grayling. As noted, Colorado (and perhaps others) has been stocking them in lakes for some years.

+ Reply to Thread