+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some help from the "visually challenged"

Default Need some help from the "visually challenged"

I had a cataract removed from my right eye last week and since I had LASIK a few years ago I was only able to have a fixed focus lens implanted. This has left me in a quandary when it comes to fly tying. I can see perfectly well up close with my left eye but not with my right.

I am looking for somewhere that I can buy reading glasses with lens of different power, ideally none in the left and probably a 2.5 or 3.0 in the right. I was hoping to do this without going to the eye doc and paying full prescription price for glasses. I didnt see any at Wally world and have been wading my way through Google without much luck either.

the next problem with be fishing glasses. I was out with the kids over the weekend an was able to tie on Eagle Claw hooks for them by just closing my right eye and using my left. The next test will be to see if i can do the same with an 18 or 20. If not I am going to have to get some polarized sunglasses with a magnifyer in one lens or buy a pair of the flip down glass and "remove" the left side.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Have you tried some regular readers and remove the lens from the left side?
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

for fishing you can buy the stick in magnifyers that glue with static to the lense of your regular sun glasses.
    I think cabellas etc sell them

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Optx2020 is a company that manufacturers magnifiers that sit on the lense of your sunglasses ,etc. You would simply add the lense you need and hang onto the other until you lost the first or add it to another pair of glasses. I found these available at varying price points on the internet but widely available.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Kerry, that is plan B, well ok Plan C, Plan B was a monocle but my wife shot that one down

I will need them in the office as well and would like to avoid the missing lens look.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Eric and Jesse, thanks for the stick-on idea, that may work for fishing and maybe even fro tying if i pickup a pair of clear safety glasses from Lowes.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Google stick on magnifyers. It's basically a stick on bi-focal you can put your sunglasses. For daily use buy a pair of reading glasses in the strength you need and an identical pair with clear lenses. If you can't switch out the two lenses any opticain can do it for you. You should end up with two pairs of reading glasses with one clear and one magnifying lens.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

carefull with those stick on thingees. they are like the static clings you put on windows. if you happen to take an unintended swim, they have a good chance of coming off...at least that is what happened to me.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Talked to the cataract doc yesterday and may be trying a bifocal contact lens in the right eye. Will go back to my optometrist after my last cataract follow-up in a month to see if i can be fitted.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

At work, I use a pair of acrylic safekty glasses with little "bifocal" "cheaters" at the bottom of the lenses. So far I've only
    seen them with the same magnification in both lenses, however. They are available clear and tinted. Jusy FYI for the guys out there.
    ....................Me, I'm suffering from cronologic vision impairment, that is, I can't see near as well as I could when I was young, so I wear glasses, and have binoculars, and all my rifles have scopes on 'em now................Modoc Dan

+ Reply to Thread