+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor

Default Trolling motor

So I still haven't had the need for a trolling motor, I have been using my pontoon on a 27 acre lake and I move around easily, I mean, I do get tired but I need the exercise, there are other lakes around but I'm starting to think I might not need the motor. What do you guys think? Another reason is that if I get rid of the trolling motor, battery and battery charger I would be able to get me the fishcat I've been eyeballing. I gotta trip next month but I won't have room for the pontoon...what to do, what to do?
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

I have had a FishCat for 3 or 4 years now and absolutely loved it. If I never fished lakes larger than 27 acres I would sell my pontoon. That is the perfect size for the FishCat, until it starts thundering, the Fishcat is faster than a doughnut but not nearly as fast as a pontoon (even if you row like me.) I am blessed with storage space so I am hanging onto my trolling motor and charger just in case I need it in the future.

FYI, I got my FishCat from BPS, Cabelas had a better price but I do not have a Cabelas store but BPS matched the catalog price for Cabelas. Might save you a couple of bucks.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I'm sure there are larger lakes but even then I would work a small area. I don't want to sell my pontoon but I'm trying to decide if I should sell the trolling motor, battery and charger and just get me a fishcat.
    I believe I can fly fish

If it came down to my trolling motor or my fishcat, the trolling motor would be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    If it came down to my trolling motor or my fishcat, the trolling motor would be gone.
    Ok, so I called my local fly shop and they are interested in a trade so my trolling motor, battery and charger for a fishcat 4, not a bad deal since that was the price I was thinking to sell everything for. I'll get my fishcat tomorrow and I get to keep my pontoon as well. Cool.

Is the "delux" really worth the extra $$?
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 06-28-2011 at 12:19 AM.
    I believe I can fly fish

Finally, the wait is over!

Last edited by Martin McFly; 06-29-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish

I cannot imagine you will not enjoy it more than the trolling motor. FYI, the only feature I do not care for is the casting apron, I took the apron from my pontoon and use it on my fishcat. I have had two leaks in my bladders, although they are easy to removed keep the instructions handy there are a couple of straps holding them in place. Any good vinyl tape will patch the bladders I think, I hope I do not have to verify that however. I use a dry bag for my shoes, etc that I place behind the seat.

I agree that you should love the tube. Sometimes less is more.
    Ain't no way in ***** I would get rid of my battery and motor though. I use my Renegade with just fin/oar power, but I do have the motor mount, so. I licensed it as well.
    For me, I do like the exercise, but there are a lot of days that I am beat, but still want to fish. I won't say the motor lets me fish more places as the oars will do that too, but
    I don't like anchoring and a motor can help me stay in one spot a long time on windy days.

I could live without the motor, but only if I have two choices of power....oars and fins. Plus I like wearing hip waders instead of full waders...

I'm very happy with it but like you guys the casting apron is not really a very good feature...nothing that can't be upgraded, of course. Hey Uncle Jesse, would you mind sharing a pic of your apron upgrade? Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

Here is my FC with the apron in place and off the tube. You can see the elastic straps are shortened to the maximum the elastic cord did not have an adjustment so I made a loop and secured it with some fishing line. The brown square you can see is a pocket off a old pair of neoprene waders that I stitched underneath to use as a rod holder. After seeing the rubber mounting surfaces Joni has on her boat I think that is the best way to go with one or more of those mounted on the sides of the storage pockets. The little yellow circle is a camping clothesline I use as an anchor line.
    Casting apron 1.jpgCasting apron 2.jpg

+ Reply to Thread