+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nylon Stretch

Hybrid View

Default Nylon Stretch

I have some samples of Danville Nylon Stretch and want to know what is the main use for it. I feel it has to be used a fair amount or they would drop it from their products as they have a few other things. So what is the best use of this stuff. It's seems pretty nice and strong and does have a fair amount of give to it and holds on to a hook well.

Oh it comes on spools of 20 yards, 50 yards and 1 pound cones.

Just want to know so i can try using it on something!

Thanks in advance,
    Skip

I utilize it for tags on salmon flies as the flourescent colours are very dynamic

Skip;
    I use it almost anywhere you would use nylon floss. I have rough hands and it seems not to fray as much while tying.
    Peter

I've used it for bodies on attractor dries (foamback Convertibles, Humpies); works pretty well but I've found I now prefer spandex products like Flex-floss, which I've found easier to use and comes in a wide variety of cool colors. BTW, the stretch floss seems to be the same stuff as Oral B Ultra Floss and yes, I have used it for that application, too, in a pinch.

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks guys I appreciate that since I have what I think it a 20 yd. spool of each color. I just have it sitting here and just want to make good use of it. Also thought about buying some 50 yd. spools.

Skip

Hi Skip,

Gretchen & I use the stuff almost any where floss is normally used. It feeds well out of a bobbin and never gets a twist in it. We tie a lot of Humpies (commercially) and use it for all of them. We buy the 50 yard spools (by the case0 and the only thing we have against it is that we would like it in 100 yard spools; the 50 yard spool run out too quick! <G> It's great stuff! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Blog Entries

I agree that they are excellent floss substitutes. It stretches, lays flat and smooth and is also great for shaping underbodies

I use the Uni version for soft hackles. If you're careful, you don't even need to use tying thread. Just the stretch and a feather!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Okay good stuff and thank you! I was wondering about the spool size and usually like 100 yard or more in some cases, but as heavy as this is I think 100 would be great. I can't see buying the one pound cones as I really don't want to spool it my self. I guess if someone used enough of one color it may be worth doing. I will try these 20 yard samples I have and maybe then order the colors I like best since they come by the box, but I do buy most of my thread that way too. Try to cut cost every way possible.

Love all the ideas and really appreciate the help.

Skip

+ Reply to Thread