Brown Trout caught at Farmington River, CT - Church Pool.jpg
A resident of Massachusetts, my days off are spent fishing the Swift, Westfield and Deerfield rivers. Last summer, I spent a few days of vacation time at the Battenkill river in Vermont. I had been told the fish are smart and the fact I was only able to catch (& release) ONE brown trout, it proved to be a challenge!

This past week, I spent a few days at the Farmington River in Connecticut. Not knowing the waters or where to go, we stopped in to a local Fly Shop in New Hartford. (UpCountry) They were very helpful to point out a few of the pools to try and the flies that had been working. The first few days, I only had a few hits and one that snapped my line. I headed back on the third day to try once again. With rain threatening to dampen the day, I was able to land two brown trout just before Mother Nature changed our plans! The skies darkened, the thunder clapped and the lightening jumped in! Chased from the waters, we grabbed some breakfast and headed home. Disappointed that I wasn't able to spend more time fishing on the last day, I looking forward to returning later in the season!

Never give up...it's tough getting to know new territories.