+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feral hog attacks anyone?

Hybrid View

Default Feral hog attacks anyone?

I have enjoyed the thread re snakes and cougars, both of which I have encountered while fishing. With between one and two million feral hogs in Texas alone ( I don't know pop. figures for other states) I'm betting some of you have had encounters with feral hogs. Here's mine from last spring:

Can't blame the wild sow as she was protecting her piglets. Dog went nosing off in the brush near the CO. River above Bastrop, TX. Hog chased the dog and dog ran directly to me. I had not time to unholster the .38.

Instinct kicked in--I yelled a primal scream and swung my walking stick at the charging beast. She swerved off at the last second and ran back to her brood. Dog and I ambled on, unscathed. Others have been less fortunate or so I have been told.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Wow! We don't have many in PA, but I saw on TV those things can be very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Wow! We don't have many in PA, but I saw on TV those things can be very dangerous.

It sure wont be long before you do
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

YUM YUM, Bacon sounds really good right now!..... I've heard that they are getting really out of control in some areas and their numbers need to be kept in check.
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Yes we do and the problem is getting worse:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=621618&mode=2

That is the PGC website link on feral swine. The state has declared open season on them with the exception of a few areas for trapping and study like the area around my brother's house in Butler County. If you want pork dont' buy it in the stgore but treavel to one of the counties having problems and shoot your own. Most of the farmers will be glad to see you do it on their land.
    My boss told me that crossing me is like playing with DET cord.

Quote Originally Posted by juniatajim View Post
    Yes we do and the problem is getting worse:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=621618&mode=2

That is the PGC website link on feral swine. The state has declared open season on them with the exception of a few areas for trapping and study like the area around my brother's house in Butler County. If you want pork dont' buy it in the stgore but treavel to one of the counties having problems and shoot your own. Most of the farmers will be glad to see you do it on their land.
    I stand corrected.

Sort of on topic here. I have seen the reality show where they attempt to capture these things, by hand of all things. I have also seen where they attempt to kill one of these things with a compound bow. What I fail to understand is they are catching these things to destroy them and if they intend to kill one outright why the heck don't they use a 25.06 or something? I mean we have had pretty decent rifles around for quite sometime made just for killing wild animals. If I were out to get me a wild hog I would use the best weapon available. Certainly not a bow and arrow or a rope.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

juniatajim,

Yep, you are correct, and the State of Penna. may also have ended those study/trapping areas too! That info should also be available on the link you provided! I will be checking on it myself. Thanks! I have been pretty close to them in Louisiana - did not see them, but was duck hunting a chute where they had the area freshly roto-tilled! It's actually a little scary! I've felt safer in the mountain lion country of Utah! LOL!!

Here is the latest PGC news release on feral swine -

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...e__035_11.html

Best regards, Dave S.
    Last edited by fishdog54; 06-25-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: link on latest PGC info

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    Sort of on topic here. I have seen the reality show where they attempt to capture these things, by hand of all things. I have also seen where they attempt to kill one of these things with a compound bow. What I fail to understand is they are catching these things to destroy them and if they intend to kill one outright why the heck don't they use a 25.06 or something? I mean we have had pretty decent rifles around for quite sometime made just for killing wild animals. If I were out to get me a wild hog I would use the best weapon available. Certainly not a bow and arrow or a rope.
    Kerry-- of course a good rifle would make more sense, but who watches reality shows to see intelligence!?
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Don't be so sure....
    NYS DEC has finally fessed up to them beginning to get a foothold in some of the southern tier counties.
    I've always heard that there three kinds of states. There are states that have wild hogs, states that wish they didn't have wild hogs and states that are glad they don't have wild hogs.

+ Reply to Thread