+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Foam Forms

Default Foam Forms

I'm an experienced tyer and just getting into tying terrrestirals with foam. Can anyone tell me how to make cutters to form terrestrial legs, bodies, etc.? Is there any product on the market for purchase? Thank you

Google "foam fly body cutter" you will get a bunch of websites with patterns. If you are a metal smith with skills and the correct tools you could make you own. Or use scissors or an Xacto knife, the fish aren't that fussy if the shape is off a little.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

If you are using the foam sheets like you get at a craft shop, try a set of hole punchers. Ive done that and it works well with bluegills. There is an endless array of colors and you can mix them up to form all kinds of patterns.

hope this helps,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I am also a big fan of River Road Creations. Tony & Kathi are fantastic & will make custom cutters for you at reasonable prices as well. They manufacture the cutters here in the USA, have a lot of versatile cutters in stock, all their cutters are top notch & come with "cutting pads". If you have questions, don't hesitate to call them.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I have a lot of these cutters and they do a good job. I get them from Hareline Dubbin. Not sure about other places, but I also know Bob Marriott's has them.

Skip

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skip48 View Post
    I have a lot of these cutters and they do a good job. I get them from Hareline Dubbin. Not sure about other places, but I also know Bob Marriott's has them.

Skip
    FAOL Sponsor, J Stockard, has them. Check their site http://www.jsflyfishing.com/ , then look under "fly tying", then "tools" & there they are under "wing & body cutters". In addition to River Road Creations, they carry a very inexpensive imported cutter, but I have no experience with them. J Stockard's prices & service are outstanding!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    FAOL Sponsor, J Stockard, has them. Check their site http://www.jsflyfishing.com/ , then look under "fly tying", then "tools" & there they are under "wing & body cutters". In addition to River Road Creations, they carry a very inexpensive imported cutter, but I have no experience with them. J Stockard's prices & service are outstanding!
    Mike
    Actually JS beats the price from Bob's and that is pretty good. I guess it depends on the product sometime.

+ Reply to Thread