+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crocheted Wire Body

Hybrid View

Default Crocheted Wire Body

Being somewhat inspired by AlanB's woven wire bodies I tried something I had not previously been successul at completing, crochetting wire. The green body is Ultrawire the dark body is clear plastic cord with black magic marker on top and orange on the bottom. Body bodies have a thick coat of Fabric Fusion. I just hope they will catch fish, which is believe the secret is keeping them in water containing fish.

These do not fall into the same quality class as most of they guy and ladies who post their ties here but it was something that had frustrated me previously.

Crotched bodies 2.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

AlanB Guest

Well done. I've played with crochet, but find the shuttle weave quicker and easier, though it does take some mastering. I'm sure if you show them to some fish they'll eat them!
    Cheers,
    A.

That is just COOL!
    Now you did it....I've got to try it...AUGH!
    Are there any instructions on the web?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Did you ever make an braid lanyard or braclet as a Boy Scout? It's basically the same thing. The only trick is not breaking the wire in the middle of the body. The plastic cord was easy, just like any cord will be. I have one I misplaced in the plastic cord that I colored with a green magic marker and coated with Fabric Fusion that looks like a miniature lime lollipop. I tried it in my floatant test tank and the plastic cord body sinks like a rock, I wasn't at all sure about that.

Blog Entries

That green one is really eye catching. Love it.

OK, Unc .. for those of us who were not Boy Scouts ... directions? That's really pretty kewl!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Well HRH, to tell you the truth I wasn't a Boy Scout either, about all I can say is it is a regular crocheted body using wire.

Go to the Fly Tying index and find Knit Picking Mayfly AKA: Extended Braided Tail Mayflies, Text by Denny Conrad, co-owner Conranch Hackles, Photos by David Conrad. There are illustration on how to there.

Instead of thread or cord use small diameter wire, do not let it kink and snug it up gently. When I was finished I put a good layer of Fabric Fusion on top and bottom, of course epoxy would also work.

+ Reply to Thread