+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tenkara style flies

Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been a devotee of soft hackle fishing in both the Tenkara and western style for many years. I have fished and tied flies with both Sylvester Nemes and Davy Wotton, two of the fly fishing world's most noted experts of the past few decades regarding soft hackles and wet flies. But let me begin by saying "the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know." I put that in quotes because I even learned that statement from someone else. I just don't recall who at the moment. Everything we accomplish in life is like that - built out of a succession and menagerie of things we collect which were contributed by others who collected them from others...and so on. No man is an island (despite what the Randian egoists may believe about themselves).

A soft hackle is one of the most effective and versatile styles of flies in water where fish are sight-feeding on insects...period. Adding a soft hackle collar to virtually any nymph will increase the number of takes and/or aggressiveness of takes. Soft hackles fish well in the water column from the surface film to suspended just above the bottom. SH's fish well dead drifted, fished upstream, and fished downstream. They work great in still and flowing water. They are attractors, so you have great latitude in how you tie them to mimic what the fish could be feeding on or just include some known strike triggers and go for it. Several of the most effective and popular classic nymph patterns have a soft hackle collar: Prince Nymph, Red Fox Squirrel Nymph, etc.

Here's the thing, Ed: For the hackles to flair (abduct), a soft hackle must be at a true dead drift in the water or suspended in the surface film. The slightest variance moves the hackles back and forth - toward the eye or shank of the hook. This is what the soft hackle so effective. This is what gives it "life." This breathing gills or moving legs motion is almost always undetectable to any observation by the naked human eye, but it is occurring even when the hackles seem to be "plastered to the body of the fly." The hackles form a long arch down the side of the fly and undulate in and out as water friction moves them ever so delicately. Don't ask me why fish see this instantly and miss that big ole hook sticking the end of the bug they're about to eat! I have no clue. But they do it all the time. It has something to do with the way that sub-pea-sized brain is wired I imagine. It is programmed to do about 3 things I guess: eat, procreate, and avoid natural predators. Fish hooks sticking out of a bug's butt or bait fish's belly and tail just doesn't register as a threat, I guess. That's all I can figure. It's sort of the opposite of why they think a chartreuse spinner bait looks like food: beats me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
    <snip>
    Here's the thing, Ed: For the hackles to flair (abduct), a soft hackle must be at a true dead drift in the water or suspended in the surface film. The slightest variance moves the hackles back and forth - toward the eye or shank of the hook. This is what the soft hackle so effective. This is what gives it "life." This breathing gills or moving legs motion is almost always undetectable to any observation by the naked human eye, but it is occurring even when the hackles seem to be "plastered to the body of the fly." The hackles form a long arch down the side of the fly and undulate in and out as water friction moves them ever so delicately. Don't ask me why fish see this instantly and miss that big ole hook sticking the end of the bug they're about to eat! I have no clue. But they do it all the time. It has something to do with the way that sub-pea-sized brain is wired I imagine. It is programmed to do about 3 things I guess: eat, procreate, and avoid natural predators. Fish hooks sticking out of a bug's butt or bait fish's belly and tail just doesn't register as a threat, I guess. That's all I can figure. It's sort of the opposite of why they think a chartreuse spinner bait looks like food: beats me!
    Flyguy66, I came to the understanding that soft hackles have to be fished on a dead drift to reach their potential. I didn't realize that the first time I tried them, but I worked my way around to it. (You might say it was an upstream struggle to learn that.) I think that we pretty much agree on soft hackles. That said, I'm still not above using a single wrap of dry fly hackle on an otherwise soft hackle style of fly. In fact, I am pleased to say that the JV rooster which I recently got from Conranch has proven its worth for that, even if nothing else. (And that JV rooster has plenty of other utility. I took it into a fly shop to show off recently and thought I was going to have to fight to get it back.)

Tight lines,
    Ed

I also use a wrap (or two) of dry fly hackle on a wet fly intended for use in faster water.
    Tenkara Bum

Conranch's JV hackle is some of the best soft hackle feather money can buy. Tying a proper soft hackle collar can be part of the issue with how they perform, too. You have to get the collar firmly flared from both behind and in front of it. This can be done with thread, a bit of material, etc., but getting the barbules flared away from the hook shank to where they will remain flared when the most gently stroked by a bodkin, etc. is the objective. This will prevent them from plastering down to the sides of the fly too readily, too.

Denny's JV Roosters are cockerels (not sure if it's spelled right), which is a rooster under a year old. The feather barbs aren't as stiff as a mature rooster, and are stiffer than hen or game bird hackles. They were often subbed for hen and game bird hackle for flies that were going to be used in faster flowing water, jus as CM Stewart mentioned. They are also a good choice for dressing dry flies, though they may require to be dried more often or have floatant applied more often.

They are a great score for the fly dresser.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

[QUOTE=There's so much BS floating around the US about Tenkara that it's comical to those of who actually lived and fished in Japan for years.--flyguy66
    [/QUOTE]

Fly Guy -- You posted that back in August of 2009 in this thread. Would you consider updating that observation? Such as, has the situation changed, and if so how? If sounds as if you observe from an informed position.

I have been with FAOL since October 1997, and I have always attempted to be a gentleman about my language on this site. When I was in the military, I always attempted to keep my temper in check, I do have a temper, and few times when I am in a rage, I would take a long walk....other times it is "Run for the Hills..Sergeant Mac is having a "Big Bad Mack Attack!" ~Parnelli

SFC McGarthwaite, Steven H.
    RA69044546, U.S. Army Retired 1968-1995
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

I have been with FAOL since October 1997, and I have always attempted to be a gentleman about my language on this site. When I was in the military, I always attempted to keep my temper in check, I do have a temper, and few times when I am in a rage, I would take a long walk....other times it is "Run for the Hills..Sergeant Mac is having a "Big Bad Mack Attack!" ~Parnelli
    ~ Steven McGarthwaite

Steven, you posted the above immediately following my post asking flyguy66 for an update of an earlier post of his; did this give offense to you?

In the course of reviewing the thread to discover why I may have ticked you off, I noted that I confused a "Joined" date as the "Sent" date; flyguy66's post was actually sent in November 2011, not August 2009, so my request for an update was needless. But surely that is not the source of your being apparently upset.

I approve of your method of dealing with anger. And since you mention your military identity, you may be interested that I am:

Cpl. Arnold, Paul F.
    US55340292 U.S. Army, active duty 1953-1955

+ Reply to Thread