+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing in Boone, NC

Hybrid View

Default Fishing in Boone, NC

My wife and I recently returned from North Carolina. Saw a lot of really beautiful country, visited some interesting places, all the way from Boone to the Outer Banks. We had a great time and are looking to go back again some day.

The first week was spent in Boone, where my wife was taking a watercolor painting class. I kept myself busy fly fishing in the local trout waters. I even hired a guide for a day's worth of fantastic fishing on an out-of-the-way stream that I never would have found on my own. It turned out to be a great experience. Conner, my guide, was a super guide as well as a great coach. Not only did I have a great day of fishing, I learned a lot about fishing the local waters from him, and picked up a few new tricks that will make me a better fisherman in the end. The advice that I got from him made fishing on my own the rest of the week all that much better. Next time my wife wants to take another art class there, I think I might try a float trip on some of the local bass waters with the same outfitters. Give me a chance to broaden my horizons.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd found Boone while doing a google search a few years ago. It's been stuck in my mind ever since. I'm glad to get a first hand report and some beautiful pictures to boot. Thanks for sharing. Where did you stay - rental cabin?
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It

Because my wife was taking a class, and was going to have to get herself there at times, we just stayed in a motel. But the highways out of Boone are easy to pick up in all directions, so it was simple to get to the waters.
    There are a variety of cabins available around the Boone area, and that would be something that we might look into in the future. There are also a lot of smaller towns around Boone that seem to cater to have cabin rentals available as well.
    CJ

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I'm amazed that you had that kind of luck in North Carolina. To paraphrase Betty, there ain't no trouts in North Carolina ! Seriously, glad to hear that you had such a successful trip. 8T

I have several cousins who live in Boone., and several years ago my wife and I went there to visit for the first time. I was amazed at how pretty it was, and even more interested in hearing the stories of large trout that my one cousin told of catching in a couple of the local streams.

Betty nailed it...........there are no salmonids in North Carolina!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread