+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snakes & cougars

Hybrid View

Default Snakes & cougars

Have you had any encounter with them during fishing trips?

once -- little rattler. He didn't survive. Meet up with other, non poisonous snakes all the time. they seem to like the water out here in the California heat.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Come across rattle snakes once in awhile fishing E. WA. Never had to kill one or take any evasive action other than giving them the time to retreat. Almost every time I have seen a snake it was heading in the other direction.

I have had the privilege of spotting cougars twice in my life. Both times were cool and both were brief encounters with the cat moving away swiftly.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Mt. lion: Hiding behind bush 50 ft. from me along Rio Grande at Coller Wildlife Area near S. Fork, CO. about three weeks ago. Stepped away from river and was walking toward a low ridge when dog (Brittany) sudddenly ran up the incline and the cat jumped up from its hiding place under a bush and off it went. Full grown. 11 A.M. and only 150 yds. from busy road. Don't know if was stalking dog, or me (or both) or just fascinated w/my casting skill (LOL). Very rare to see them this close, I'm told, and without dog, I would have passed close by. Shocked me enough I quit fishing. Had to call dog back as she wanted to chase the cat. Waited a couple of minutes and then walked to mesa above ridge to see where cat had gone. Cat was walking slowly by my truck about 150 yds. away and eventually wandered into some nearby rocks and trees. Have carried my .38 with me ever since, although I realize that unless I see the cat and have some warning, I'll never get off a shot. Upside is that I'm told death will be quick.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

If you fish you are going to encounter snakes. Here in North Carolina it is normally copperheads, the occasional rattler, cottonmouths, and
    any number of non-poisonous ones.
    I just give them a wide berth. I'm careful as to where I step as most bites occur when you most likely step on them. Be very careful hiking trails and the brush. They can be very difficult to see as their camouflage is extraordinary!
    Just read an article in Wildlife in North Carolina about just that thing. Be hopeful your insurance will cover the cost of a venomous
    snake bite as the treatments can run as high as $40,000.00.......ouch!!!

Never experienced a cougar or mountain lion and can say that's fine and dandy with me!

Why do you ask?
    Last edited by bobbyg; 06-22-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Around 4 weeks ago while wadefishing in elder lake in the tall moss I saw a coral snake swim slowly along between my ankles... Looked to be bout 3ft long & close to the diameter of a spool of uni thread...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    If you fish you are going to encounter snakes. Here in North Carolina it is normally copperheads, the occasional rattler, cottonmouths, and
    any number of non-poisonous ones.
    I just give them a wide berth. I'm careful as to where I step as most bites occur when you most likely step on them. Be very careful hiking trails and the brush. They can be very difficult to see as their camouflage is extraordinary!
    Just read an article in Wildlife in North Carolina about just that thing. Be hopeful your insurance will cover the cost of a venomous
    snake bite as the treatments can run as high as $40,000.00.......ouch!!!

Never experienced a cougar or mountain lion and can say that's fine and dandy with me!

Why do you ask?
    bobbyg, I asked because in Patagonia Argentina is -depending on the area- is relativelly usual to see puma (cougar) tracks. Very smart animals they can spot you during hours and you not them. Some males are really big (200+pounds) and the attacks to humans are unusual but I know that in US you have had several including very bad ones. Not bears here thanks God. Poison snakes are problematic in some areas at North (Bothrops species, Yarar?) when we go for dorado.

Blog Entries

Every now and then we see rattlers on the banks of the Missouri River in Montana, below Holter Dam, and a few times we have seen them crossing the river. Mountain lions are not really a problem, they don't want to be around you, but it doesn't hurt to have a noise making tool, like a large caliber pistol.

Larry ---sagefisher---

NewTyer 1 Guest

I have seen a number of rattlers on the paths, sunning themself and copperheads in the streams searching for frogs. Also, saw a bobcat once.

I wear snake boots and always carry a gun...........
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

+ Reply to Thread