Mt. lion: Hiding behind bush 50 ft. from me along Rio Grande at Coller Wildlife Area near S. Fork, CO. about three weeks ago. Stepped away from river and was walking toward a low ridge when dog (Brittany) sudddenly ran up the incline and the cat jumped up from its hiding place under a bush and off it went. Full grown. 11 A.M. and only 150 yds. from busy road. Don't know if was stalking dog, or me (or both) or just fascinated w/my casting skill (LOL). Very rare to see them this close, I'm told, and without dog, I would have passed close by. Shocked me enough I quit fishing. Had to call dog back as she wanted to chase the cat. Waited a couple of minutes and then walked to mesa above ridge to see where cat had gone. Cat was walking slowly by my truck about 150 yds. away and eventually wandered into some nearby rocks and trees. Have carried my .38 with me ever since, although I realize that unless I see the cat and have some warning, I'll never get off a shot. Upside is that I'm told death will be quick.