+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snakes & cougars

Default Snakes & cougars

Have you had any encounter with them during fishing trips?

I've had a few rattlesnake encounters, but we have an understanding. I don't bother them, except to say hello, and they don't bother me. Never seen a cougar.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Snakes are not uncommon in the SE USA, I have encountered many over the 50+ years I have fished. They are mostly non-venomous but there are the occassional cottonmouth or rattlesnake. Cougars are pretty much non-existent in the SE, out west it is possible I suppose.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 06-22-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Used to have a female cougar on the property that used to rent in northwestern LA. We occasionally saw/heard her and often saw here tracks.. We knew it was a her, because one spring we found kitten tracks with her's on a sandy road..

In Louisiana there are moccasins everywhere... Usually show them a little respect, and they'll left ya' alone,. But I and most everyone I know that spends time outdoors and on the water, have a number of stories where that wasn't exactly the case...

I have seen a cougar while fishing in Waterton Canyon, near Denver. It was quite happy to leave me alone and go its own way and I was quite happy to see it do so. There are rattle snakes in this area, but I have not seen them while fishing. They generally stay away from the water. I have seen several on the bike path while bicycling to work.

Ted

I think I've seen a snake cross in front of me just once. No cougars, although I guess theoretically they could be in Southwest Wisconsin.

Beavers, however, manage to scare the cr@p out of me on a regular basis.

Blog Entries

There are lots of snakes out here but I have seen only one or two. I have been shadowed by a cougar a time or two. No real encounters, though.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I was fortunate to avoid conflict with a cougar with a young one over a blacktail deer kill on the Little Naches River in Washington state. A very tense and unnerving situation. After backing off of them with only a flyrod in hand & talking outloud as they stared me down, they shadowed me for quite awhile down the canyon until I finaly got the nerves and got out of the creek for the truck.

I used to fish a small stream near Cherry Springs PA, that held alot of rattlesnakes during the summer months. I would encounter one hopping boulders nearly every trip. Didn't really enjoy it at first, but got used to it and just kept my eyes open....the fishing was great.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well. I stepped right on a rattler last summer when a friend and I were fishing a private farm pond.... sad to say, he didn't make it. I should have been lookin where I was walkin. Usually when I see snakes, they're headin away from me, rattlers are fairly timid. Cougars have shadowed me a few times, and I've seen their tracks on top of mine several times. I came face to face with one at Lake Britton in N. CA. two years ago, about 20 yards apart. He just looked at me and my fly rod for a few seconds, then bounded up the hill. I think he was just down to the lake for a drink, it was dusk. I've also seen bears a time or two while fishin' but nothing scary, they usually don't want anything to do with folks either. I always pack a .357, but have never hauled it out. I kinda figure the cougar whose gonna gitcha is the one you'll never see. That 'ol .357 just makes me feel better. .........................................ModocDan

Haven't met any snakes since I quite guiding.

.......sorry. Couldn't help myself. Truth is, when you are a river guide, 99% of the people you meet you like so much you wish you could stay in touch. But there is that 1% or so that does make you grind your teeth.

+ Reply to Thread