Hey Everyone,

I purchased a "brand name" graphite fly rod a past summer at a local retailer with life time manufacturer warranty. Rod fished great!!!
It was his last 5wt and I got it for about $150. Broke the tip about 10 months later in May. So I contact the manufacturer, one of the staff says its $50 shipping included for the tip. So I email my info to purchase and get a response from the owner stating their graphite rod count was incorrect and they have no tips but offers to give me $150 off a $650 high end rod that fishes like no other

I call my local retailer, he retails the high end rod for $350 (with manufacturer warranty and I now know first hand what that warranty is worth), another store sells the high end rod for $400. both prices way way way lower than the manufacturer, what's up with that?

Personally, I believe the local retailer didn't do anything wrong. Technically, neither did the manufacturer, but I just can't understand the manufacturer's warranty system, pricing or way of doing business. Especially when the manufacturer sells direct on-line as well and has the broken rod in question for sale on his website for about $170 on close-out. I would think he'd at least offer a deal on that one?

I've had many many rods over the years and while I have't made too many warranty claims, I've never felt quite so dicked around.

I'll never buy from them again, am I off base here?