+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poor service-reader's digest version

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default poor service-reader's digest version

Hey Everyone,

I purchased a "brand name" graphite fly rod a past summer at a local retailer with life time manufacturer warranty. Rod fished great!!!
    It was his last 5wt and I got it for about $150. Broke the tip about 10 months later in May. So I contact the manufacturer, one of the staff says its $50 shipping included for the tip. So I email my info to purchase and get a response from the owner stating their graphite rod count was incorrect and they have no tips but offers to give me $150 off a $650 high end rod that fishes like no other

I call my local retailer, he retails the high end rod for $350 (with manufacturer warranty and I now know first hand what that warranty is worth), another store sells the high end rod for $400. both prices way way way lower than the manufacturer, what's up with that?

Personally, I believe the local retailer didn't do anything wrong. Technically, neither did the manufacturer, but I just can't understand the manufacturer's warranty system, pricing or way of doing business. Especially when the manufacturer sells direct on-line as well and has the broken rod in question for sale on his website for about $170 on close-out. I would think he'd at least offer a deal on that one?

I've had many many rods over the years and while I have't made too many warranty claims, I've never felt quite so dicked around.

I'll never buy from them again, am I off base here?

I don't think you are off base at all. This sounds like a very deceptive business practice. You were sold a rod without any real warranty.

Ted

No I do not think you are off base, the rod came with a lifetime warranty, it is up to the makers to replace your rod. If they have no more they should replace it with the next generation rod free of charge. No ifs and no buts, anything else is just plain dishonesty in my book.
    All the best.
    Mike

Dicked around.............perfect analogy!!!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

I would email and explain that lifetime means life time and that you expect them to stand up behind it. the reason I would go with email is that any responce will be in writing. you might also include a link to this thread.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    I would email and explain that lifetime means life time and that you expect them to stand up behind it. the reason I would go with email is that any responce will be in writing. you might also include a link to this thread.
    Eric
    I find a nice email explaining that you believe you likely talked to a new hire. You find it hard to believe or expect such a fine company as theirs would use such a deceptive practice. And explain to them exactly exactly what you believe you bought and exactly what you expect them to do about it. The link included will help. I also find including a CC to the states district attorney, consumer affairs office, Better Business office, etc.also generally gets a response.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I had a very similar situation with a VERY well known company many years back on a spinning rod. The short version of the story was they didn't make the rod any more, it was maybe one of the last of the top end of their fiberglass, and offered me a discount on a graphite. When I wrote a letter of protest (this was before email), the president responded that the lifetime waranty was for the life of the rod, not the owner. I did not receive any further assistance, but me nor any of my friends have purchased a rod from that company in the last 20+ years. I am not mentioning their name as they are a sponsor.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

first of all, my last rod was a TFO and it's fantastic!

You all bring up great points that made me re-visit my emails so I should clarify a little further.

Well this all went down in sept of 2010 soI wasn't very proactive and I feel it's been too long to start it up again, or maybe I'm wrong. I just came across the broken rod while cleaning and it burned me up a bit and I just had to vent here. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a replacement

I should also mention that after requesting a replacement of equal value, the owner emailed:
    "Hi Ian,

******* graphite rod was never on a life time warranty, especially on close-out sales. Please take this matter to a dealer where you purchased this rod."

But he only said this after I told him the retailer sold it with manufacturer warranty.

This manufacturer isn't a sponsor but I'm still not saying anything at his point because I'm not sure anyone's done anything wrong.

The retailer claims the manufacturer backed the warranty the day i bought it so I don't feel he's responsible. The manufacturer never really made any claim to me. So I don't feel as though he's done me wrong but I'm a bit surprised that the manufacturer wasn't a bit more accommodating as i was willing to mail him the broken rod and even pay for just the tip. He claims not to have a tip,yet he still sells the rod direct online. Still a bit strange to me. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by newfie; 06-22-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Call the mfgr back and tell them you expect them to honor their warranty, or that you will never do business with them again and will be perfectly happy to let your 9000+ friends here at FAOL know what you think of their customer service.

You got royally %&^$ed over. I noticed you didn't mention the rod brand. Why not? It might save others from making the same mistake, as well as send a message to that particular rod company that it doesn't pay to do that to their customers. Word gets around here in a big way, and it can be enough to put them under if they don't wisen up. Next time stick with a real name brand like Temple Fork Outfitters.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 06-22-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread