+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Net or not?

Hybrid View

Default Net or not?

I was recently at an AMC fly fishing clinic, and I was surprised to hear the instructor recommend against the use of a net on trout. The concern was that the net could scrape a substantial amount of protective slime from the fish.

On the other hand, when I did catch fish that weekend, I had a hard time getting the hook out of the fish's mouth without it, and it seemed to me that I was doing more harm than good by not using the net.

Conservation is important to me, and I always try to release the fish to fight another day. How do you feel about this? Nets or not?

Keep the net wet and it shouldn't be a problem.

I believe in using nets for the exact same reasons you mention, landing fish quickly and releasing them with as little handling and harm as possible. The answer for me is a net with a rubber net bag (doesn't take any slime off, doesn't snag jaws or fins, etc., etc.) and I use it for all but truly small fish. I think some believe that skilled/experienced anglers don't need a net, but I don't buy that. I'm convinced I land a trout quicker (excluding dinks of course), handle them less and release them in considerably better shape than would be the case if I or anyone else landed it without one.
    Last edited by John_N; 06-21-2011 at 03:02 AM.

No net, ever. Barbless hooks, always. Use tippet stout enough to bring to hand quickly.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

No net here either. I use barbless hooks, reach down with my hemostats, and twist/flip it out.

These guys use nets all the time AND electricity, but they're just fisheries biologists, what do they know...

Blog Entries

I would like to not use a net at all, but there are times when I feel I have to so as to not injure the fish.

I do use the new rubber nets and they are very fish friendly and also hook friendly, it is easy to get your gook loose from them.

I have several types of hook removers. I have two sizes of Ketchum-Release tools tied together on a long string that I use in the boat and I also have a locally made circled wire release tool that I carry with me when wade fishing, as well as the hemostats that I always carry with me.

Some fish are so aggressive (I guess they are mad, suppose I would be too if something stuck a hook in me ) that netting them is the only way to calm them down enough to get the hook out without causing them more damage.

Always use barbless hooks, not only is it easier to get the hook out of the fish but it is a whole lot easier to get the hook out of you or your fishing buddy. Yep, that does happen every now and then.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Proper C&R was discussed at length here: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...b-Boese-column
    Curiously, the article that started that thread has disappeared.

I get so p----d when I read about this topic. First, I see people using nets all of the time and I don't see dead fish floating all over the water. Secondly, they're just fish. I'm sorry. I don't go out of my way to kill anything, especially a trout, but they're just fish. If one happens to die, so what! I don't want to get into politics so consider this a statement: Human beings are being aborted every day with our permission!

Nets, yes most of the time. My biggest fish was landed without one and I quickly remedied that situation.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread