+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage discontinues Z-Axis

Hybrid View

Default Sage discontinues Z-Axis

I received an e-mail today from a fly shop that Sage is discontinuing the Z-Axis. A great fly rod. I have a 4 wt and just picked up a 5 wt. I imagine that it was bound to happen, especially with the BIIIX out now from Winston. Do we expect an $800 Sage now? Glad my quiver is jammed!
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

The $800 Sage is the TCX. I'm curious to see what the replacement for the Z-Axis is.

Perhaps there WILL be a day for me to buy an $800 fishin pole BUT I suspect that day will conicide with the availability of snowballs in places where it was impossible to procure them before ( Alabama, Florida etc. come to mind)

Mark

Trout don't speak Latin.

To me, this is all getting ridiculous. Are we paying for technology that has no realistic benefits? After I lost a premium fly rod, I bought a replacement moderately-priced replacement. I was amazed at how well the replacement cast. If I were blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the rods, though one cost twice as much as the other.

I will agree: premium rods look much better.

Randy

I'd think an accomplished caster would definitely be able to realize the difference in a high-end rod and, for them, the expenditure may be worth it (or if you have $800 burning a hole in your pocket). I'm a hack (although blindfolded I could definitely tell you which end of the rod I should be holding) and if I had $800 to spend on a new rod (I don't), I'd be better off putting it in some casting lessons so that I could better use the rods I have.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

I figured Sage was up to something when they introduced the VXP, at a price that was around $135 less than the Z-Axis. My first thought on that was that they were going to stop production of the Z-Axis.

It is too bad in a way as the Z-Axis is a good fly rod, and it sold for $630. I have always preferred the XP to the Z-Axis but the Z-Axis is a good rod and I own a couple of them.

I am sure that what they come up with will be a good replacement. A fast rod with some backbone but not so fast that it can't be cast decently by almost anyone using it.

For now I have a nice selection of Sage rods, I don't think I will need any more, but then.............................

Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    I figured Sage was up to something when they introduced the VXP, at a price that was around $135 less than the Z-Axis. My first thought on that was that they were going to stop production of the Z-Axis.

It is too bad in a way as the Z-Axis is a good fly rod, and it sold for $630. I have always preferred the XP to the Z-Axis but the Z-Axis is a good rod and I own a couple of them.

I am sure that what they come up with will be a good replacement. A fast rod with some backbone but not so fast that it can't be cast decently by almost anyone using it.

For now I have a nice selection of Sage rods, I don't think I will need any more, but then.............................

Larry ---sagefisher---
    I mirror that sentiment exactly.

If I had to get rid of all my Sage rods except one I keep the XP. Love that rod!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Rats! I figured they'd discontinue them before I could afford one. I was fortunate enough to cast one at the Idaho Fish-In several years ago. My performance skyrocketed. Unfortunately, my wealth did not. I'm starting to think fiberglass, and old school.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    My performance skyrocketed. Unfortunately, my wealth did not.
    Remember these will be discounted 25% or more to start. Never fished demos will be on ebay for 40%. Sage makes great stuff. Being a XP fan, I was never enamored with the softer Z-Axis tip. I'm more interested in trying various VXP models.

+ Reply to Thread