+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 ' vs 9'6"

Default 9 ' vs 9'6"

I have become a fan of a 9'6" rod over a 9 footer for river fishing. Wondering how those rods would would work from a boat out in the bay -- easier shooting, more distance?
    Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by spike-2; 06-15-2011 at 10:40 PM.

You would expect that the longer rod would help with distance as you are using a longer lever to move the tip over a longer distance. I find the difference between an 9' and 9'6" rod to be insignificant most of the time when fishing from a boat. I have a 9'6" 9wt rod that I use in the ocean sometimes. I won this rod in a raffle and wouldn't have purchased it, but since I won it I use it. I find no functional difference between the 9'6' and 9' rods when fishing from a boat. I find the effects of casting from a rocking boat to be more significant and variable from cast to cast than the benefit of an extra 6" of fly rod. Even in calm water I do not notice a difference.

I do find using a longer 11' switch rod to provide noticeable distance improvement if the boat isn't rocking as much, expecially with two handed overhead casts.

TL
    Thanks
    Dave

9'6'' no doubts

Personally, I prefer the 9 foot rod over the 9'6" rod. Unless you are going for maximum distance, the extra swing weight on a 9'6" is not worth it.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

If you already have the 9 6" then use it. It really depends on what type of fishing you are going to be doing. My ideal rod for fresh and salt is a 10 6" single handed rod. I don't really notice that big of a difference in a 9 6" over a 9. Just like in the river the length is a bigger advantage in reach once the line lands on the water than the extra distance you would get by casting. That extra foot and a half gives me an extra 3 feet of reach to lift my line over waves in the surf and over back eddies in the tidal rivers and estuaries to keep my fly in the water where I want it.
    Your hooks sharp????

I would say that it would depend on the type of fishing you are doing. My only boat fishing is on the flats for tarpon or bones. There I prefer an 8'6" RPLXi or a Scott 8'8" HP rod as they load with a shorter casting arc and are far more precise in fly placement. Additionally, boating and quickly releasing a fish with an 8'6" rod is easier done than with a longer rod.

So I spent on a day on Narragansett Bay (RI) with my favorite Captain and after an hour with a Sage RPL+ 9'6" 8wt and a RIO OUtbound line, the arm/shoulder said enough! I moved to the Sage Xi2 9wt with the same line. Of course that rod is lighter but te difference was significant. The 9 foor is the way to go for me. Thanks all for your comments.
    DAve

Being vertically challenged... i.e. 5'6", I never cared for the longer rods and don't own one over 9'.

Like Dave, I find that casting these longer rods, shortens both my enjoyment and number of casts/day.

Actually, in recent years, I fish my 8' and 8' 6" rods a lot more than any of my 9 footers...
    Last edited by bowfin47; 07-08-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Strength is a factor. A longer rod takes more energy to get into motion and keep in motion. I find longer rods don't always work better. On the other hand, a switch rod or spey rodd, will give you some distance.

jed

+ Reply to Thread