+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any fly fishing ham radio operators??

Default Any fly fishing ham radio operators??

I fulfilled a bucket list item last December by passing my technician class license exam, and was assigned call sign KD8PFB. I'm now working on my general class license, and hope to take that test in July or August, depending on my workload, and be able to actually use the HF rig that I bought last February.

I have recently gotten interested in IRLP, and last night talked to a couple of fly fishers in Alaska. Very cool stuff. I have also talked to folks in Sheffield, England (one fella was a carp fisherman...long rod), and a few blokes down under in Australia and New Zealand who are also fishermen.

Anyone else here actively involved in amateur radio? I just learned that there is a Wilderness Protocol for ham radio that could come in handy if you're injured on steam and don't have a buddy or cell coverage. More cool stuff.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

N0OAS here. Mostly into home brew. Build it. Use it a bit. Give it away to a kid. I like building my own antennas, too.

My HF rig has never been tuned up inside the Ham Bands. I used it exclusively for the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS). My mobile 2m rig is a converted Kenwood commercial/public safety radio running 100w. I have made a packet radio contact with the Space Shuttle MOBILE!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

KD7QDU, taking a general class right now hopefully next Thursday I will pass the test. I don't do much with it but want it for emergency communications. My thought is you can never have too many ways to yell for help.

My instructor told our class that he has never had anyone who read the book and passed the first 10 practice tests on QRZ.com not pass the test for the licence. i have found that the practice tests really show me where I need to review.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

I understand the origins of the term "HAM", and it is properly presented in all caps as it is the initials of the "fathers" of Amateur Radio. However I do prefer "Amateur Radio Operator" to HAM.
    Kevin

Blog Entries

Eric, You might just as well brush up on the advanced and extra questions a little as well. Take them all. Who knows? You just might pass Advanced or Extra as well as your General. It doesn't cost any more to take the extra tests, or isn't supposed to, anyway.
    Kevin

Blog Entries

Kevin, the term HAM has more theories of how that word was coined than the amount of times "you should have been here last week" has been said by lodge owners. I had never heard the Initials story but it sounds good. If I pass the general test they will put the advanced test in front of me to take. My son is planing on taking both and is actively studying the advanced test. I on the other hand just want to pass the General then will buy the book and start on extra.

Besides I am looking forward to getting a Hat with my call sign and then putting three stars above the call sign.

73's

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 06-15-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: 1 2 many signitures
    Georgy Shragin

Been licensed since 1976. I haven't been very active lately, but I am working on getting my HF antenna back up right now. (Sunspots are coming!).

Oh and in case you were unaware, they are no longer issuing Advanced class licenses. Just Tech, General and Extra.

K7NI

Blog Entries

thanks Jay, I can never keep the names of the top licence straight, too many names in the past. sometimes things just ought to be left alone. should still be novice general and advanced in my mind. I think some people have to muck with things that dont need mucking with just to have somthing to do.

Sorry I am a little too far away to help put up the antena.

73s

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

KF7KWT. Im working on my general license too!

TT.

Very cool to see that there are other hams here as well. It's a quiet hobby, but a very interesting one to say the least. I have built a number of antennas from stuff laying around the house, and saved a lot of money. After recently purchasing a dual band HT, I converted my 2m j-pole over to a dual band "Copper Cactus" antenna.

I was bored one day so I then built another dual band antenna and have it hanging in the garage attic. This is the "Arrow" design, and is a talking machine!

I've also built 2 ground plane antennas for 2m and 70 cm.

I also made a tri-band inverted "V" dipole in my attic that is just #12 THHN wire and a balun. It covers 10, 15 & 20 meters, even though I can't use the 15 & 20 meter frequencies yet.

It's like our fly-fishing hobby where it feels real good when you put something together and it actually works.
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 06-15-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread