+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How's the Fly Fishing in Lake Olathe and Cedar Lake?

Blog Entries

Default How's the Fly Fishing in Lake Olathe and Cedar Lake?

I find myself curious.

Ed

Olathe lake can be good at times Cedar lake not so much. There are other places here local to catch fish depending on what you want to fish for that can be much better. Are you going to be in the are if so when? I could point you in the right direction or maybe take you fishing for a day.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Blog Entries

Steve,
    I don't know, but there is a very small possibility for later. Apparently there is enough Atrazine (Aatrex) in those lakes to make eating the fish from either (especially Cedar Lake) a dicey proposition.
    Thanks for your offer. If I do pass through, I try to give fair warning.

Ed

Cedar can be a great lake for carp if you've got a way to get on the water and work the flats on the top end. Lake Olathe is best in the spring when the wipers and crappie are both in the shallows (the swimming beach can be really good when the wipers are herding shad). In the summer the weeds get thick enough that it's best fished from a boat in most places, but the gills can run pretty big and a few nice bass can can be had on the edges of the weed beds in the evenings. Like Steve said, there's better water close by we can get you on if you're going to be in the area. Might even give Betty an excuse to go out and chase some gills with us again. Just bring plenty of Cheez-its
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

Bluegill222, I would definitely have to bring Cheez-Its. I'm sure the stores in Olathe are perpetually out of stock...
    Neither Betty, nor any of the rest of you, should need me to furnish an excuse to chase 'gills.
    In fact, I thik that y'all ought to host a mini-fish-in. The OFI mini sounds pretty darned good, actually. You might be surprised at who all tries to slip into your quiet town for a day or two of raucous " 'gilling out".

Ed

Got to say that I never thought I'd see this question here or any other national board. I guess it is all these fishing celebrities we have that get together on Thurs. to tie flies and spin yarns---their yarns must be going viral.

Nope, Brad, just a clever bit of subterfuge to deflect the curious from the real jewels in the area
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I think we need to get the stocking schedule and go play with the little channel cats on a thursday night. The pics of Betty and a catfish would be great.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Y'all let me know when this mess is gonna take place, and I might try and take some time off and come up. Fresh-stocked cats on a glass 3wt would be a blast!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread