+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The possibilities of wire

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/hotwirecad.htm

Many of them have taken quite a few nice fish, especially on the Madison River.

PT/TB
    I dare you to swing this one through a riffle on the Madison in the evening; don't let your mind wander or you'll have the rod jerked out of your hands. I always tied these with black holographic tinsel for the shellback; the floss looks to be a lot easier to use.

Regards,
    Scott

AlanB, great work with the wire bodies. It would have been useful to have some of these this week as I was having difficulty getting my flies deep enough this past week eventhough they were some of my heaviest ties. Great job.

Greg

AlanB Guest

If you want to learn to weave then the fastest way is just to weave. Seems obvious but what I found was that if I tied one fly and wove that by the time I had got the next fly ready to weave I had forgotten what I learned on the first. The solution was to get 6 hooks the same ready to weave. You have to finish the thread at this point anyway so when you do put it aside. Then weave all 6 one after another. If you want to add anything after the weave don't do this until all 6 are woven. At some point during those 6 woven bodies something will click.

My technique was helped a lot by getting an order for 100 dozen a few years ago. Tie that many and you do have a good idea how to do it.

If I want a shell back on a Czech nymph style fly I don't tie in buoyant materials to achieve this. To maintain the density of the fly I simply run a permanent marker down the back of the fly. Weaving the fly uses about 25% more wire than winding the wire to form the body.

Another good source for coloured wire are the bead craft suppliers. Mostly I use 0.4mm, which will tie down to size #18 as a single strand. For smaller flies and for using multi coloured twisted strands at smaller sizes I have some 0.2mm. These craft wires work out a lot less expensive than UTC wire. For less than the price of a spool of UTC I can get a 90 meter (about 342 feet) spool of the 0.4 mm beading wire. I probably should look into bulk spools but at this price I,m not sure what the saving would be.

(For the technically minded: 0.4 mm wire is 26 AWG or 0.0159 inches. 0.2 mm wire is 32 AWG or 0.00795 inches, approximately.)

Expanding a little more on the first post I am working on some bend back salt water flies with wire woven bodies. Once I'm happy with them I'll post pics.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Excellent flies, I loved looking at them. You did one fantastic job on them, that is for sure.

+ Reply to Thread