Legendary CO based fly rod carper Mctage made the journey to OR to join me for a few days of carping in the high, dirty, nasty Columbia waters. Yes, the water is high. It was a great trip highlighted by some fantastic takes, ninja style stealth, big fish, unique settings (I caught a 21 lb fish a few feet away from an overturned picnic table) and great company. I enjoyed fishing with Mctage and was thrilled when he stuck this massive 23 lb monster...from his knees after an extended stalk too!

We caught some real monsters with the five biggest fish weighing 21, 22, 23, 23 and 31 lbs. I caught this 23 lber on the last day.

The 31 brute was caught on a size 8 black and orange soft hackle...she took the fly by simply stopping over the top of it and hoovering it off the bottom like a vacuum cleaner.

So many stories and images in my mind that I can't really keep things straight. Overall, it was just a fantastic couple of days. We brought roughly 100 carp to hand with a ton of solid 12-19 lb fish. The high water is difficult, but pretty interesting!

Thanks again for coming out Mctage! Great fishing with you...