+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smallie Trolling Flies NE USA

Hybrid View

Default Smallie Trolling Flies NE USA

Team FAOLA friend is travelling to Maine and will be trolling for smallies in JulyI would like to tie him up some flies.. Any proven patterns and sizes you would like to share.Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Stage 1, I admit that I haven't fished in Maine or trolled, but if I might be so bold as to suggest, some of the classics like the Rangely Lakes streamers, Mickie Finn, Alexandra, Hornerg, etc... might work well. Also, you might check out the Maine FF board, if it is still up. I don't have the URL but Google might.

Ed

Blog Entries

Do you know what part of Maine he will be fishing?

Default Ossipee Lake

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMac View Post
    Do you know what part of Maine he will be fishing?
    Hey just found out Osipee Lake, not sure of the spelling

I have fished smallies for a long time - although in Ontario, not Maine, but I can't believe they behave much differently there. I can probably help with specifics, but would first like to know how he will be moving through the water - boat, pontoon, tube? And will he be flyfishing or using spinning gear.

Generally however: brown over yellow Clousers with gold flash (even if the minnows aren't that colour - in 'my' lake they're green over silver/white); black or olive BH wooly buggers; crayfish patterns in the rocks (a variation of a brown WB will work - use squirrel for the tail/claws instead of marabou); and frog imitations in the shallows, but only in the morning; and SMALL white minnows in the evening where the bass are herding fry of the year near the surface (often more in the middle of bays over weeds). If you want specific patterns for these ideas, let me know.

On July 1 I expect most smallies to be between 3-10 ft down, even if the bottom is deeper.

a great variation of a woolybugger i use for crayfish is i tie a few peacock herl in on top of the tail and ill tie the marabou tail split into 2 clumps on the sides and more weight towards the eye its really simple and works has a nice profile too you can also use olive too

+ Reply to Thread