+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: check out this hackling technique

I have played around with twisting hackles with the body material, but I generally don't like the looks of it.

To answer Allan's questions:
    1. Quite a few, but primarily on a certain pattern, the Seal Bugger. I think reinforcing the hackle of that fly with wire binds down too many body fibers.
    2. No, and I often pull off the remains of the hackle and keep fishing the fly.

I intend to try some of the ideas put forth in this thread because I like the procedure and want to see what the results look like. Several years ago I remember reading about "reverse tying" and now I do not remember who submitted it or where I read it, but, it might have been A.K. Best but I am not sure. I know I tried it and have used "reverse tying" ever since. I think it is easier to palmer hackle and I like the looks of the fly better. For example, when you tie a bugger, tie in the chenille and hackle up front behind the hook eye and then run your thread bobbin back to the tail tie-in point and leave it there. Wrap the chenille to the back, tie off with the thread and cut off the excess and then palmer the hackle to the tail tie-in point and tie off with your thread and cut off the excess. Then you can work your thread back through the body to the hook eye and create your head and whip finish. Doing it this way eliminates the bulk behind the hook eye and, in my opinion, makes the hackle lie back more naturally and looks better. Working the thread bobbin back and forth as you bring the thread back to the hook eye creates the rib that makes the hackle more durable and the small diameter of the tying thread does not trap any hackles. I try to always use thread as close to the body color as I can get and you never see the thread in the finished fly. Doing it this way also eliminates "counter wrapping" because the hackle leans back as you palmer it to the back and when you bring the thread to the front it will be wrapping over the hackle just like "counter wrapping" except you do not have to change the wrapping direction. I love "tying in reverse"!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Several years ago I remember reading about "reverse tying" and now I do not remember who submitted it or where I read it, but, it might have been A.K. Best but I am not sure. I know I tried it and have used "reverse tying" ever since.
    If it was on this board, it was likely Hans Weilenmann

If memory serves, it was as Steven wrote, Hans.
    Speaking of whom, does he still venture onto this site?

Allan

Yeah, I think Hans was advocating it for Catskills to make small heads. I don't use the method for dries but do for wets.

I love the technique and will for sure use it.

I don't think I like how he tied the fly though. If he started at the back of the fly (hooks bend) and worked forward, it wouldn't look that heavy with thread and I would have finished the fly with half hitches.

After AllanB posted about how the Stewart Black Spider is tied I looked it up and came across one of my favorite fly tiers Davie McPhail and these two flies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV7k3epJfJY

Again I love the technique and have used it for peacock hurl but never thought to use it for hackle.

Great post and rebuttals.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Erie Bell,

The reason I prefer to tie the hackle at the head and wind it toward the tail is because you get a nice tapered shape to the hackle. Also, if you tie the hackle in at the tail and, as you wind it forward, it happens to break, you're SOL. You now have to undo the body, tie in another hackle, redo the body and then wind the hackle(again). Plus it's difficult to get the nice tapered body. Just sayin.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread