+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need new vise

Hybrid View

Default Need new vise

Ok I have not tied much in the past few years (mainly just leaches and woolly buggers) but I have had the feeling I want to get back into tying a little more. Well I feel that in order to get back into tying I should reward myself with a new vice. I do not have a lot of money to spend. I will be tying mainly stuff for warm water. Any suggestions for a new vice would be great! Also a good location for videos (I do not have a fly store near me). Also where to buy material.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I can speak to the vise question. I have an HMH Spartan, it's a nice rotory vice at a good price (around $120). My buddy has an HMH Standard. It's got more machining and a nicer shaped base, but otherwise it's about the same, but it's also about $100 more. I like my vice a lot. It works well for my tying and can hold lots of different size hooks. There are also replacement parts available and replacement jaws in two other sizes (midge and huge - that's not really the name, but I can't recall the large jaw set name).

All the best,
    Dave

I forgot to say that I really do need a base and needs to be in the $100 dollar or less range.
    Last edited by Threedayweekend; 06-12-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Look at the Griffin Superior 1A vise at around $50 for a clamp version and $60 for a pedestal base version. Or the Griffin Montana Pro Vise at $80 for clamp and $90 for pedestal version. The Montana Pro holds hooks up to 7/0. The Montana Pro II kit, which includes some tying tools and carry case is $129.

If you want a rotary vise the Griffin Odyssey Spider is around $85 and the Danvise a few $ more. BT's Flyfishing Products, a sponsor of this website is a source for the Danvise. A pedestal base will set you back about another $25-$30.

I have a Renzetti, two Dyna King, and a Regal vise, but if I had to start again on a limited budget I would be quite happy with the Griffin vises or Danvise.

If you look at the sponsor page for this website you will find a number of online sources for materials including Hook and Hackle and J. Stockard. Another favorite of mine is Cascade Crest Tools, which has a great selection of vises, tools, and materials.

You can find a lot of instructional videos on youtube and there are some great ones here

www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx
    Last edited by tailingloop; 06-12-2011 at 10:53 PM.

The flyfishohio website has an excellent review of vises in your price range. I suggest you check it out before buying. Another board member has a Dynaking Trekker for sale in the for sale section. It's a little out of your desired price range at $150 but it is a great vise, and a good price, as new ones sell for $230. Don't skimp on a vise. A good one will last a lifetime and a poor one will drive you nuts.

Dave

Do I need a rotary vise?

Quote Originally Posted by Threedayweekend View Post
    I do not have a lot of money to spend.
    ....I have a Regal non-rotary and a Nor. I use the Regal until I need real rotary capabilities (which for me is frequently).
    And then I use the Nor. Someday soon I'll pop for a Regal Revolution and then I won't need the Nor again.
    They aren't cheap. But that's the vise I wish I had.

I also have a Renzetti Traveler. It's a good simple vise and it didn't cost a lot.

+ Reply to Thread